Packers will hire Pettine as defensive coordinator

When pettine was in clev he said he runs his d to the strengths of his players. If he stays true to this its a breath of fresh air. Instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes maybe we can get the most out of our guys. Between gut saying we need competition so nobody feels safe and a dc that will be involved instead of sleeping in the both we are on the right track. This team has talent and with the right coaching will get back to qhere we expect
He took a ton of criticism in Buffalo and Cleveland on his defense... have to see how it plays out.

I wonder if McCarthy looked at the personnel he had on defense, and figured he had enough tools in them to make it happen. It's so hard to say. This one kind of befuddles me.

If I'm a head coach, and I'm doing everything I can to save my job, I'm going to look for a guy who can help make that happen. I'm not looking for a guy who might throw me an anchor instead of a life vest, if I'm in danger of drowning!

Personally, it's the middle of the road hire. I think regardless you have to go out and get him the personnel for the scheme. You can try and dress up a hamburger and call it a steak but it's still hamburger at the end of the day.

I am interested to see if he retains our DB coaches or goes another direction.

Yes. If we hired Fangio or Bradley I’d be excited and pretty sure we’d see an improved D. If we promoted Perry or Moss or Whitt I’d be demoralized and pretty sure we’d see same old or worse (somehow).

With this guy there is a chance for success and a chance for failure. I think the difference is, with Fangio or Bradley I think they can take the guys there and make them better. I don’t see Pettine doing that, so it will depend largely on Gute’s overhaul of the roster.

To finish your analogy, Mark, with Perry, Moss or Whitt, it doesn’t matter how good a steak you give them, they’ll always cook it well done and ruin it.

Pettine has been in Seattle as some kind of consultant or something. Seattle runs a simple defense, but a very good one. Pettine is smart. We'll see, but I think he might have picked up some ideas on how to simplify his scheme. Hopefully, Gute will get the right players for him and Green Bay's defense will be like Seattle's...because that defense is ridiculous!

Why?? His defenses were always top 10 and a few times Top 5. Some people will criticize anything.

Thing I worry about was while we the Jets he had a good D but while overall D with the Bills was 10th the scoring D was 20th and I believe the two yeas with the Browns were in the 20s also for scoring D.

Yeah,

I really don't get the dislike for this hire at all. He's a high intensity passionate coach, and isn't falling asleep in the booth ala Capers against SF. That's exactly what we need. Sure, he runs a complex scheme, and so did Capers. HOWEVER, he has a better track record than Capers, much better in fact. He's had a ton of success coaching in this league and his defenses have never been half as bad as ours was this past season.

Speaking of the criticism of Pettine, I remember after Rex Ryan was hired in Buffalo and Pettine left to coach CLE, I heard a ton of fans say that for the next two seasons, the D was far worse under Ryan than it had been before he was hired. That's a huge compliment to what Pettine was able to accomplish with that defense.

He may not be as sexy as Fangio or Bradley would have been, but I have little doubt that he will get the maximum out of what we have here. Frankly, it really can't get any worse. The bar is pretty damn low right now.

Thing I worry about was while we the Jets he had a good D but while overall D with the Bills was 10th the scoring D was 20th and I believe the two yeas with the Browns were in the 20s also for scoring D.
Okay. Of course, they didn't give that stat. The Jets offense has always been fairly awful, hasn't it? Could that have contributed? I honestly don't know.

Actually, I misspoke. His defenses while DC were top 5 every year as DC except for one year they were 9th. I'll take that after what we've endured! thumbsup

I really don't get the dislike for this hire at all. He's a high intensity passionate coach, and isn't falling asleep in the booth ala Capers against SF. That's exactly what we need. Sure, he runs a complex scheme, and so did Capers.

found an interesting article on sports illustrated's website. here's a quote that piqued my interest: "...a shape-shifting defense that appears complicated to opponents but isn’t to the players executing it. The scheme and the innovative teaching methods have been battle-tested with the Ravens, Jets and Bills..."

here's a bit more:

“One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player,” Pettine says. “You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time—when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players.”

Thomas was one of those guys in Baltimore. David Harris was the guy with the Jets. Safety Jim Leonhard traveled from the Ravens to the Jets to the Bills because nobody knew the scheme better than he did.

When it comes to teaching the players, it starts with giving each player an inventory of techniques specific to their position. For example, corners will learn how to play press coverage, man coverage with safety help, playing inside-outside with another player, squat coverage for Cover 2, and so forth. Each player has his own inventory so when he hears the defense being called, he only needs to know two things: how do I get lined up, and what’s my technique?

“Then you hope that the coaches have meshed together those 11 jobs so that you have a functional defense,” Pettine says. “Our big saying is, ‘Do your job, good things will happen.’ So we keep them very narrow-minded on, ‘Do your job first.’ A lot of mistakes are made when you're wanting to do somebody else’s job.”

When it comes to executing the defense on game day, this is where the real genius of the scheme comes into play, because it allows the unit to appear more multiple and confusing to the quarterback. The chaos, however, plays out as clarity in the minds of the defensive players.

full article: https://www.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-coach

Good article RB. My main take away is that he never should have been the HC in Cleveland, seemed like he took the interview as practice and then haslam wound up hiring him.

Back