Packers trade CB Damarious Randall to Browns, get back QB DeShone Kizer

OK, digested over-night. Not as annoyed as I was last night, but still don't get it.

Kizer may work out, but I'm not seeing the value of getting a back-up QB, something you could draft or sign in FA as fair return for a starting quality CB. Can we replace Randall, sure, but the same could be said of Hundley. In fact it might be easier to replace Hundley with a FA than Randall with a comparably talented CB, especially when you consider that the odds of the back-up QB playing a lot are much lower than the odds of your slot CB playing a lot. Plus, at this point Kizer isn't much more than a struggling rookie, hardly much comfort if AR goes down. They might still need to add a veteran FA. If they think they can get by with Kizer and Callahan and be a lot better off than last year, I fear they are sorely mistaken.

Agree this probably more about MM than BG. MM didn't want Randall around so he presses for him to be gone and for a better QB for HIS offense. Hope Mark is wrong, but this could be an early sign of MM having too much say in personnel.

The whole FA puzzle comes down to multiple interacting pieces. Are they truly on board with the idea of adding Wilkerson? If they are, he'll probably eat a bunch of the available CAP space. Will there be enough for a CB? Maybe - depends on how they do both deals and also how AR's new deal is structured.

I have no interest in Sherman at this point. Older guy coming off an achilles tear seems questionable. Butler wouldn't really fit the Packer's usual CB measurables - he's under 5'-10", and ran a 4.62 at his pro-day which is on the slow side. I also think they need to set their sights a little lower in terms of getting a "name" free agent CB. In that case, again, you could have just kept Randall.

The moves up in the draft barely mean squat. Once you get to Rds 4&5, moving up 10-12 spots doesn't really change the quality of the player all that much. The biggest benefit is having that first pick on day 3. You get plenty of time to re-look at your board and take trade offers. Player quality isn't really gonna be much different. It'd be different if it was like most years when you are moving up almost a full round.

As I said in my last post, hopefully this is part of a bigger plan and BG already has some solid idea that he can add a CB in FA. It also means that CB becomes a huge priority in the draft. Hoping for the best but still think the Browns got the better end of the deal.

I think they were looking for a back up QB who is better than Hundley, yet cheap enough that they don't care if he's good. Randall was a casualty because of his mouth, and the problems he had with teammates.

I have a hunch he blew more than his share of coverage and that was a major factor.

He never was that good in my book. Of course I don't think much of Kiser either.

Great questions and observations...

Michael Rodney‏ @PackersNotes 21h21 hours agoMore
If Damarious Randall was such a turd, I find it interesting that Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith are OK with the trade. They were in Green Bay for Randall’s entire career and know him - both on and off the field - as well as anyone.

Michael Rodney‏ @PackersNotes 4h4 hours agoMore
Some of the same know-nothings who determined Damarious Randall to be a turd now want the Packers to sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who was such a turd last season that he was suspended by the Giants. He's also turning 32 next month and coming off a pretty mediocre season.

If Randall's problem dealt with individual players, and coaching, it wouldn't necessarily mean he wouldn't fit in Cleveland. It's all pretty much based on how a guy fits in his present surroundings. I'd guess the people in Cleveland saw something in him they liked, and could handle.

I doubt Randall was responsible for all the problems, and I do know how much his relationship with the remaining coaches was soured by their interactions. He might be a Pro Bowler in Cleveland, and never have made a positive impact in GB.

Players and systems are fascinating, because they combine with fragile egos. I hope he does well.

He might be a Pro Bowler in Cleveland, and never have made a positive impact in GB.

This.

I've seen it many times in any number of sports - sometimes, for a number of reasons, a guy is just not going to work with his team. He can go elsewhere and do very well, but that doesn't mean he was ever going to do well where he was. If MM, Whitt and whatever other players in the locker room were done with him, move him out. That's that. I still say he had horrible on field demeanor and I can't imagine the coaches didn't notice it and work with him to change it. if he matures in Cleveland and becomes a player there, more power to him.

The one thing I find truly bizarre is that in the past 3-4 seasons, the Packers have systematically rid themselves of every DB with good ball skills and turnover ability. Hayward, Hyde now Randall. Usually teams horde that ability like gold, but GB has not been able to utilize these players properly to their full ability.

The one thing I find truly bizarre is that in the past 3-4 seasons, the Packers have systematically rid themselves of every DB with good ball skills and turnover ability. Hayward, Hyde now Randall. Usually teams horde that ability like gold, but GB has not been able to utilize these players properly to their full ability.

This has made me consider the problem too. What is it that they aren't doing, on the sidelines, that needs to be done?

I'm anxious to see how Pettine does to be honest. I don't know how much of a change he'll make.

This has made me consider the problem too. What is it that they aren't doing, on the sidelines, that needs to be done?

I'm anxious to see how Pettine does to be honest. I don't know how much of a change he'll make.

The common thread among the three is that they were misused by Capers. Hayward I think is more of a zone guy but was being asked to play a lot of man coverage. Hyde is a S but was made to play CB. He got burned a lot when being asked to cover RBs and TEs one on one but he had good vision of the field and made plays on the ball. Randall is also probably a S. I'm not a fan of his and still think he comes off as a petulant little (blank), but in a thread a few weeks ago I advocated trading HaHa and moving him to FS because I think he's much better making plays on the ball when he can see the action in front of him than HaHa is.

Follow up, Chris Mortenson reports that Randall will play FS in Cleveland.

Back