Packers To Hire Matt LaFleur As HC

Having stood around talking to Murphy early on when he joined the Packers, I can tell you the guy was more prone to being a listener than a talker. I've watched that change over the years, and now he's more the talker than listener. Some people say that's a sign of his growth with the job, but I find it to be a little off-putting, because it tells me he once wanted to find the answers, but now figures he knows all the answers, so we can just listen to him tell us the way it is.

I'll admit, when I first met him, I was impressed by how he seemed to drink in everything he could. I wonder what happened.

Having stood around talking to Murphy early on when he joined the Packers, I can tell you the guy was more prone to being a listener than a talker. I've watched that change over the years, and now he's more the talker than listener. Some people say that's a sign of his growth with the job, but I find it to be a little off-putting, because it tells me he once wanted to find the answers, but now figures he knows all the answers, so we can just listen to him tell us the way it is.

I'll admit, when I first met him, I was impressed by how he seemed to drink in everything he could. I wonder what happened.
Maybe he started drinking so he talks more now LOL

I'm gonna guess that he heard people talking about TT was able to do whatever he wanted and how Murphy was clueless. So he's trying to show that he really is in charge and on top of things. He's overcompensating for something ;)

I don't think it comes from a "bad" place in Murphy, I just think he's excited like a kid in a candy store. Remember he's a business guy not a football guy. He's in charge of a new product and he's excited about it so his instincts tell him to go out and sell it (snow tubing or ice rinks or new hotels or new head coaches - all the same to him). It's off-putting. No one believes any BS story about love at first sight with this guy - they liked him the best, that's all you need to say. He clearly wanted that PC to be more of a pep rally than a news conference and came off as overbearing trying to steer it that way. The local press did no one any favors by failing to ask some direct, important questions that would be possible for ML and BG to answer (non-hypotheticals).

I don't think it comes from a "bad" place in Murphy, I just think he's excited like a kid in a candy store. Remember he's a business guy not a football guy. He's in charge of a new product and he's excited about it so his instincts tell him to go out and sell it (snow tubing or ice rinks or new hotels or new head coaches - all the same to him). It's off-putting. No one believes any BS story about love at first sight with this guy - they liked him the best, that's all you need to say. He clearly wanted that PC to be more of a pep rally than a news conference and came off as overbearing trying to steer it that way. The local press did no one any favors by failing to ask some direct, important questions that would be possible for ML and BG to answer (non-hypotheticals).
How the GB Press is they were never allowed to ask any tough questions if they were the Packers (Rob Davis) would have issues with them and heard that were threanted to lose press passes.

Yeah listened to parts of that presser and Murphy just needs to talk less. Why say that basically you weren't impressed with any of the other guys. These guys are trying to get jobs too and all have had some measure of success in the NFL. Plus you make your guy feel like he got the job by default because the other guys sucked. At that point you just say "We were impressed with a number of the candidates, but Matt stood out. In the end, we all felt like he was the best fit for the Packers".

That's what I was saying right after I watched it. Felt uncomfortable for LaFleur.

1 on 1 with Matt LaFluer

I think Mark already posted this, but I couldn't find it so I'm posting it again.. My take and highlights..

1) "I just think our ability to adapt to the strengths of our players, and I think that's what coaching is. Good coacheswill put their players in the best position to have the best success they can have" -when asked about his success with different types of QBs...

Probably the most exciting part of the interview. No more square pegs in round holes... This is really the basis to how Belichik has been successful for so long. Look at the roster, see what they do best within your vision, and let them do it.. it's kind of like the anti-MM where the strict structure is above all.

2) "Marry the run with the pass. Have like plays......... We also want to create what we call the illusion of complexity. Running the same concepts, but how many different ways can we run them. "

No more opposing defenses having the plays sniffed out before the snap! :)

Back