Packers seeking more consistency from rookie punter Justin Vogel

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Rookie punter Justin Vogel’s impressive start early in the Green Bay Packers training camp hasn’t been unblemished.

home

Continue reading...

I hope Zook stays away from the kid, and doesn't start tinkering with his mechanics. If he's been able to go from a 4 to 3 step motion, and is maintaining hang times and distances like that, I'd leave the mechanics alone, and work on his muscle memory, which is a hands off approach, where he does it through repetition in punting.

As an ex-punter myself, I know that coaches can foul you up a hell of a lot more than they help, if they start tinkering with your mechanics. I knew a guy, very well, who was on his way to an NFL career as a punter, until a college coach came along in his junior year, and started tinkering with his mechanics, and changed everything, to give him more "follow through." It cost him over 10 yards a punt, and over .5 seconds hang time, and the rest is history, because he never regained his previous form.

I've watched three straight inept ST coaches in GB, and every one of them has tinkered with their kickers and punters, causing them problems. They like to use the word "inconsistency" to designate an inability on their part to establish effectiveness on coverage teams.

If you think back, to the days of Ryan Longwell, we kept hearing how he didn't have the leg for kicking off, because he didn't get touch backs. Yet, his hang time on kick offs was so much better than most kickers that the ball wouldn't be advanced that far on each kick, and those that were, were due to failure by the coverage team. Yet, they harped about it being Longwell's fault, and how he wasn't a great kicker, just adequate. This article says he was the best place-kicker we ever had, and I agree. Crosby could end up surpassing him, but as of now, Longwell is still #1, whether we like him for what he said leaving GB or not.

Top 5 Packer Kickers of all-time

I agree about Vogel. My only knock on him is after family night he and Mason have to get back on same page.

I do disagree with about Longwell being #1. Mason long surpassed him in all areas and is currently kicking at an 86% FG rate the past four years!

Vogel still seems to be mixing in the occasional shank to go along with some really solid punting otherwise. I think we just have to hope he sorts it out.

Rookie so he will have a few FP( moments. Don't kid yourselves the packers pro personal dept will scan the waiver wire hard and jump on a decent punter again.

Vogel still seems to be mixing in the occasional shank to go along with some really solid punting otherwise. I think we just have to hope he sorts it out.

Vogels first punt was 36 yards no return. After that he was rock solid. For the game he averaged 44 yards with a 43.5 Net. 3 total return yards on 6 punts with 5 inside the 20. If he can stay that course I think the Packers will be plenty pleased.

If every game was as good as that, I'd call him a steal. That's solid punting.

What will be interesting is if Vogel makes the team do they change his number? His number has been "unofficially" retired for decades.

What will be interesting is if Vogel makes the team do they change his number? His number has been "unofficially" retired for decades.
Don Majkowski wore number 5 for a year. I'm not sure why they haven't retired Hornung's number yet but since they haven't maybe they never will.

Quarterback Vince Ferragamo also wore No. 5 in 1986, as did QB Willie Gillus (1987) and kicker Curtis Burrow (1988). Gillis and Burrow each played one game with the Packers.

That is an interesting question! Because of the 90 man roster, it's probably hard not to use the unofficially retired numbers of 1 and 5. In fact, I looked at the roster and the ONLY kicker's number between 1 and 19 that is not officially retired is 10. And that is/was Schum's number! Hence why Vogel probably got the number 5.

I'm sure it gets changed if he makes the team. I'm guessing to number 9. Sorry Montay.

Last edited:
Back