Packers 'poking around' Ronnie Hillman and other running backs, per report

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8931607.0.jpg

The Packers have considered adding veteran running back Ronnie Hillman.

The Green Bay Packers made their first and likely only splashy signing of the offseason on Monday, landing tight end Jared Cook on a one-year, $3.6 million deal. However, according to USA Today's Tom Pelissero, the team has also considered multiple free-agent running backs, including former Denver Broncos rusher Ronnie Hillman.

Hillman has spent the majority of his four-year career working within Denver's running-back-by-committee approach. His biggest season came in 2015, when he carried the ball 207 times for 863 yards and seven touchdowns, all team highs. Still, the cash-strapped Broncos did not have the available funds to retain him. Hillman has yet to sign with another team.

For the Packers, Hillman could have offered a different flavor to the backfield. The offense leans heavily on Eddie Lacy and James Starks, two between-the-tackles runners. Hillman conversely could add some breakaway speed and serve as another capable pass catcher.

Regardless, it appears unlikely that the Packers add Hillman or another unrestricted free agent at this point in the process. The team should receive a decent compensatory selection after losing Casey Hayward to the San Diego Chargers. Signing Hillman could put that pick in jeopardy.

[BCOLOR=#FFC20E]Jason B. Hirschhorn is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America and covers the NFL for Sports on Earth and SB Nation. He also serves as the senior writer and editor for Acme Packing Company, a Green Bay Packers blog.
Follow @by_JBH[/BCOLOR]​

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I sure hope not IMO this would be a waste of money as you just gave Starks a decent size contract so no need to give another back a million or 2 for a year when you got Crockett on the roster for cheap.

I'd like it if it was for very cheap and/or more than 1 year. Hilman would be a nice change of pace back to compete for the 3rd RB spot.

I'd like it if it was for very cheap and/or more than 1 year. Hilman would be a nice change of pace back to compete for the 3rd RB spot.

Completely different back than what we have, major speed. Doesn't break many tackles, not sure he is a great receiver. Doubt it happens, doesn't seem like a fit for our real need or what GB looks for in a RB (tend towards bigger guys). I would be more on board if he were a dynamite receiver.

Completely different back than what we have, major speed. Doesn't break many tackles, not sure he is a great receiver. Doubt it happens, doesn't seem like a fit for our real need or what GB looks for in a RB (tend towards bigger guys). I would be more on board if he were a dynamite receiver.

Agreed. It all comes down to money for me. I would still rather see us do something with ILB. I hope cook opens up some underneath stuff for Lacy. I would love to see this new, thinner Lacy catch the ball in open space.

Saw today they are still interested. 1 yr deal I can see them taking a shot.

He's been out there for so long that you have to figure the money isn't going to be very big. Even if it's a multi-year deal, if the bonus money isn't big, or pushed forward into the future, he can sign a 5 year deal. If you have bigger priorities, let him go next spring.

Back