Packers part ways with Winston Moss

I can't say how dysfunctional things are. We could be overblowing this or maybe even under-estimating the problems. I suspect it's a little of the first. Moss knew he was gone and was venting because he didn't care about his last few weeks of pay though I suspect he still gets his money. Now he can start looking for his next meal ticket.

Partly, I'm sure Moss was pissed at not being named interim, I suspect. That might be because Murphy and Gute feel he's not the capable. He just let that tweet fly knowing he would likely get canned. He wasn't part of the future so he didn't mind getting "cut". Now, that said, he better hope MM drags him along because he doesn't have much track record to fall back on and with this tweet some teams might be a little hands off on him.

Clearly this does point to the problem between MM and AR. Moss certainly felt it was deeper than what some people felt it was. I also suspect that renewing AR and not MM over the off-season sent a very wrong message to the team and especially the coaches.

The next coach will need to clear this up right away, and this sort of stuff will be making the rounds among potential coaching candidates who now realize that AR, somewhat like BF before him, has become a problem child in his old age. The new coach will have a challenge in front of him. Some might want to pass. You can't bench the $30 million man, but I suppose you can give him a lot of RB/FB/3 TE personnel groupings to limit his street ball calls.
I agree that a lot of this points to the problems between MM and AR. As is the case with most problems, both sides have contributed to the problem. And yes, AR like almost every superstar QB before him, has some Diva in him - this is what you get when you're told how great you are.
Interesting that we're hearing that Aaron doesn't want to have direct input into the process of hiring the next HC . . . but that doesn't mean that Murphy and Gutey won't solicit his input.

These coaches know each other very well after all these years. It's probably not one lick of surprise within the coaching staff of which ones are going to roll with the changes and which ones are not. The fact that Moss publicaly blew up before the end of the season is one of the fall outs of firing Mac with games to play. There may be additional bad blood being aired before long. I don't know if that's useful or harmful long term... Probably useful to see what's going on under the hood.

The tweet was a shot at the organization as a whole not at MM or Aaron really. He was the #2 coach and was passed up for a chance to run the show. Basically he's a lame duck coach for a month. He knows MM will hire him somewhere else so he gave GB the middle finger.

What it sounds like to me too. Honestly I don't know how Moss was able to survive as long as he did with how **** our linebackers have been over the course of a decade.

We need a complete clean sweep of the staff. I'd let Pettine stay perhaps but that's it.
I agree, along with the training staff. We seem to be the most injured team in the league; that's either because the players are physically unable to handle the rigors of the NFL game, or that coaching is putting them in a position where they are getting injured.

I never liked Moss in the position he's held. The man who was answerable to the HC but worked for the guy under the HC on defense. Just about as stupid an arrangement as Murphy's having everyone answering to him. That might show that Murphy initiated this type of disjointed and back biting chain of command.

Moss exemplified the environment of stagnant water that was one of MM's kisses of death in keeping underachieving assistants around way too long.

I really don't know if in posting those tweets, Moss knew that'd be his ticket out of here but I really don't care. He's gone, that's what matters, and that firing should have happened years ago.

Zook should be right behind him. But I guess I can wait another 4 weeks when that happens.

Dude gets the whole holiday season off, and there is no way he would be back next season. Let the dumpster fire burn, and walk into the sun set.

Lots of overreacting over something thats been blown way out of proportion with all of this stuff. Anytime there is a firing, especially a long time coach, there will be hurt feelings, bitterness, finger pointing, etc. It will blow over and everybody will calm down and move on. Im not worried about it, including Murphy & Gutekunst running the team together.

Back