Packers Hire Brian Gutekunst As GM

I still would prefer a non TT protege GM. But this probably best in house move they could make.

GB is in a mini rebuild mode right now. Hopefully Big G can draft better and not waste picks on guys then ask them to play out of position.

Packer nation should feel better about next year.

The only other thing left is to make sure TT is locked and chained somewhere on draft day so he cant get into the war room.

There was an interesting nugget in an ESPN article, apparently TT was leaning more and more on Ball for personnel decisions, and Ball was really the one who made the call not to even offer Peppers or Hyde. If true we dodged a hell of a bullet.

There was an interesting nugget in an ESPN article, apparently TT was leaning more and more on Ball for personnel decisions, and Ball was really the one who made the call not to even offer Peppers or Hyde. If true we dodged a hell of a bullet.
wideeye))

Brian Gutekunst got the Bob Harlan seal of approval as #Packers next GM. “Outstanding hire,” Harlan said. “Brian is part of the Ron Wolf tree, and everybody Ron brought in was so outstanding. Brian has risen the ranks, and certainly has earned his promotion.”

Harlan on Gute
“He’s a low-key, intense person. Very talented. Very thorough in his evaluations. ... He’s got a little bit of Ron Wolf in him.”

Read multiple places Gutekunst crushed the interview, but I don’t know what that means. I hope it means he did an open and honest assment of the recent FO, identified weak spots in how the top of the org has been collecting and using talent, and how to fix the problems.

I do a lot of hiring... it means you checked all the boxes and exceeded expectations in the interview. My last hire was like that... he was last and crushed it. Hired the guy the next day.

I don't know how you can't be excited about the Gutenkurst hiring. Well-respected. Tenured in the organization. Has pro and college scouting experience. He's young and a good people-person. If Ball stays on, I honestly don't think this off-season could be off to a better start.

I've been a Wolf guy for some time, but I'm not going to lose sleep over any aspect of what Eliot chooses to do. If he goes to Cleveland: best of luck! If he stays, fantastic. It just seems like Gutenkurst has his own net to cast throughout the League. Additionally, it was first reported if one of either Wolf or Gutenkurst got the job the other would be willing to stay.

Anyhow, this is a great day in Packer land. gopackgo

If we couldn't get Schneider Gut was the guy I wanted Murphy to hire. I'd wager MM didn't want to lose him to the Texans.

Back