Packers Free Agency: Letroy Guion agrees to 3-year deal, per report

Guion's salary-cap numbers in the deal:
2016: $3,516,666
2017: $3,666,666
2018: $3,716,668

TT got fleeced by Guion's agent this is way overpaying a at best average player.

Where are the details? The only thing I can find at all shows a $500K signing bonus, which makes it a pretty good team contract. Be happy to add another capology page.

Where are the details? The only thing I can find at all shows a $500K signing bonus, which makes it a pretty good team contract. Be happy to add another capology page.
Rob Demovsky tweeted it out.

I think I read somewhere that Guion reportedly said that he was so grateful to the Packers for standing by him during his mess last year that he would take 'almost' any deal with them.

"According to Wes Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Guion’s three-year deal last week includes just $500,000 in guarantees, all in the form of a signing bonus.
Otherwise, all the money is in base salary, offseason bonuses and weekly roster bonuses. Almost half of it, in fact, will be paid in the weekly per-game roster bonuses ($50,000 per game), as the Packers don’t want to put themselves on the hook for and potential absences. He has a pair of $250,000 roster bonuses due in May and August this year, and a pair of $400,000 roster bonuses next year as well."

LINK

So when you look at the contract details Thompson didn't spend as much money on Letroy as you would think.
Tightwad Ted strikes again.

Actually I think TT was just looking out for Guion. He didn't want him to have to carry around all that money in his suitcase anymore.

"According to Wes Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Guion’s three-year deal last week includes just $500,000 in guarantees, all in the form of a signing bonus.
Otherwise, all the money is in base salary, offseason bonuses and weekly roster bonuses. Almost half of it, in fact, will be paid in the weekly per-game roster bonuses ($50,000 per game), as the Packers don’t want to put themselves on the hook for and potential absences. He has a pair of $250,000 roster bonuses due in May and August this year, and a pair of $400,000 roster bonuses next year as well."

LINK

So when you look at the contract details Thompson didn't spend as much money on Letroy as you would think.
Tightwad Ted strikes again.
This deal protects the team completely. Easy cut with only 500k in dead money if he screws up before May. Guion isn't even 100% guaranteed to make the team in 2016 if he's beat by others in camp. And he'll simply have to play well to see the money in 2017 and 2018.

If you don't think TT and company don't pay attention to the local PR think again. GB is a small market team and there are not a lot of secrets. Guion signing is a little odd because again the amount of talented DT in this draft is unreal... TT could have drafted as good or better DT for a lot less which is what he would normally do... Just odd.

And he may still. But now, it becomes a little more of a luxury and a little less of a necessity. I'd still like to see him add another DL, but now he has a little more flexibility in how he uses his early picks. He always says he drafts BPA, rather than for need, but we all know that's crap - he drafts the best player available that fills a need. Now DL is a little less of a need, so he may feel more comfortable using an earlier pick on an ILB or TE or whatever. Signing Guion is almost like getting a free draft pick.

Back