Packers Free Agency: Letroy Guion agrees to 3-year deal, per report

Provides the team leverage in their "negotiation" with Raji. After all, Guion stepped in and got it done two seasons ago when Raji tore his bicep.

BTW, by "negotiation," I mean Ted naming a price and Raji's agent taking it or leaving it.

Provides the team leverage in their "negotiation" with Raji. After all, Guion stepped in and got it done two seasons ago when Raji tore his bicep.

BTW, by "negotiation," I mean Ted naming a price and Raji's agent taking it or leaving it.
Absolutely, and good point!
Thompson can be quite the crafty GM at times and I'd bet gaining leverage on Raji is part of the equation.
Boy it would be sweet if we had both Guion AND Raji for depth

Good point about Guion as a bargaining chip. Guion is probably best suited to play NT. If the Raji money gets goofy then you have Guion and Pennell. Raji is far from irreplaceable. Doesn't mean I don't want him back, but his last few years are nothing to write home about. Guion provides options. If Raji doesn't come back there seem to be a lot of decent options in the draft this year as well.

Good point about Guion as a bargaining chip. Guion is probably best suited to play NT. If the Raji money gets goofy then you have Guion and Pennell. Raji is far from irreplaceable. Doesn't mean I don't want him back, but his last few years are nothing to write home about. Guion provides options. If Raji doesn't come back there seem to be a lot of decent options in the draft this year as well.

Is Guion a true nose tackle? Of all of the big fellas we have I'd say BJ is.

Of course, the next question is "does the Pack actually employ a real NT formation and, if so, how often?".

Is Guion a true nose tackle? Of all of the big fellas we have I'd say BJ is.
When I think about Guion, I see more Pickett than Raji.

When Raji is healthy and motivated (read: unfortunately too seldom), he's a rare NT/DT: He has strength and anchor to hold up vs a double team up the middle (traditional nose-role), feet to move along the line laterally in run D, AND he can push the pocket on passing plays.

Not many bigs can do all that, like very few ILBs can be as effective vs the run, in coverage and when rushing.

What would make prime shape Raji so valuable, is that he could do all that as a nickel front (2 OLB, 2 DTs) tackle. No need to substitute. Raji's versatility supported Daniels' more gung-ho skillset vs the run. And in that front, it's ideal if all 4 can rush the passer. Problem with Pickett was that he got no push -> QBs could step up or escape the pocket while CMIII could be pushed wide way past the QB.

Guion of 2015 was more of a weight-lifter playing DT. He didn't move real well, didn't rush too well, but he was a rock. Great in the goal-line front. GB may be hoping that he regains some movement, since he HAS been more pass rush -oriented in the past. He doesn't have Raji's athleticism, but I bet he could play the run as well as Raji. Can he still push the pocket? Dunno.

I don't mind this deal at all. I am glad we have him back. I don't know if Raji will happen or not. Is Pennel ready to step up with more playing time?

I don't mind this deal at all. I am glad we have him back. I don't know if Raji will happen or not. Is Pennel ready to step up with more playing time?

Loaded question. Based on what I saw last season no. I still think they draft a DT because this draft is loaded with talent.

Loaded question. Based on what I saw last season no. I still think they draft a DT because this draft is loaded with talent.
Is it deep enough to go to day 3? I really hope we don't have to spend a early pick on DT. The Daniels extension, and locking up Guion tells me Green Bay isn't planning on doing so. We have other positions that need attention.

Is it deep enough to go to day 3? I really hope we don't have to spend a early pick on DT. The Daniels extension, and locking up Guion tells me Green Bay isn't planning on doing so. We have other positions that need attention.

yes very deep class.... Probably the deepest position on the board IMHO.

Back