Packers Draft grades and Reviews

Not sure how anyone can give Sternberger a thumbsup or athumbsdown)) the kid got cheapshoted twice in one day during training camp that put in on the shelf for weeks, then he comes back and wrecks an ankle and ends up on IR. I don’t think we saw the real Sternberger until the final game against SF and that wasn’t a bad showing IMO.
I think we see a real different Sternberger in 2020.

Not sure how anyone can give Sternberger a thumbsup or athumbsdown)) the kid got cheapshoted twice in one day during training camp that put in on the shelf for weeks, then he comes back and wrecks an ankle and ends up on IR. I don’t think we saw the real Sternberger until the final game against SF and that wasn’t a bad showing IMO.
I think we see a real different Sternberger in 2020.
Go watch his college tape that's how....

Go watch his college tape that's how....
I think he looks good as a pass recieving TE on his college tape. What he was doing late in the season this year was blocking. If he can do both, he's gonna be awesome. Blocking was his question mark.

I think he looks good as a pass recieving TE on his college tape. What he was doing late in the season this year was blocking. If he can do both, he's gonna be awesome. Blocking was his question mark.

THIS is NOT a guy you draft in the 3rd. Spare me the ggg( analysis boys...not buying what your selling.

Overview
Despite his experience in-line and willingness to block in Jimbo Fisher's offense, he has neither the size nor strength to handle those duties as a pro. Sternberger is athletic with above-average ball skills, catch radius and route breaks that help him undercover on the second and third levels. His paychecks will be tied to his pass-catching so he'll need to play stronger through route contact and with better focus when contested. He has eventual starter potential as a move tight-end who can function as a big WR3/4 from the slot.

Weaknesses
  • Slightly undersized
  • Run blocking isn't where it needs to be
  • Gets caved into the run lane by edge strength
  • Initial block engagement lacks necessary leverage
  • Allows backside leakage due poor angles ***
  • Needs longer sustain as blocker in space
  • Route bullies throw his timing and focus off ***
  • Inconsistent finishing catches through contact**** ( he does this with AR...TOAST)
  • Can improve body positioning to protect catch space

Jace has always seen himself as being capable of doing better. Look at his college career. He pushes to get better.

Two things that bother me. He blocks like a six year old girl. Kinda "swats at 'em!" Secondly, he doesn't seem to like the idea of getting hit in the ribs over the middle of the field. He might be less intimidated with a flak jacket, but that might not be the case.

As of now, Lewis may be our best TE going in to this coming season, and him being there isn't guaranteed either.

If you look at the 2019 draft, nobody was drafted at TE behind Jace who showed all that much promise. In retrospect, he may have been the pick of the litter at that point, but definitely not "best player available," that's for sure.

90% of the criticism is his blocking. That can be developed. Personally I wanted Irv Smith, but he wasn't there anymore. After Sternberger the talent dropped off at this position.

If you look at the 2019 draft, nobody was drafted at TE behind Jace who showed all that much promise.

not entirely true. foster moreau out of lsu was the guy i wanted. he went in the fourth round and made pff's all-rookie team.

also, dawson knox out of mississippi went later in the 3rd and had 11 starts for the bills.

Last edited:
90% of the criticism is his blocking. That can be developed. Personally I wanted Irv Smith, but he wasn't there anymore. After Sternberger the talent dropped off at this position.
I was wanting Irv Smith too and was hoping they would take him there in the 2nd round but I can't complain how the Jenkins pick turned out.

Back