Packers 2021 Free agents

"Organizational malpractice?" I love it! rofl(

Send me a bottle of what you're drinking.

Only so much $$ to go around, and #12 is raking in the lions share of GBP’s cap.
Spit balling here, but they maybe could keep Bak, Clark, and Jones by releasing #12 and a couple other midling contracts after the 2020 season.
Just a random thought

I don't know Danno . . . if I'm looking at the right numbers, cutting Rodgers in 2021 carries a dead CAP hit of $30mil so cutting him saves you only $5mil in CAP space, not nearly enough to get those 3 deals done.

To those who don't like the idea of cutting P.Smith, I don't disagree, but if you want Clark and Bahk, it's not gonna get done by cutting nickel and dime contracts. You need to find a bunch on money. Now, maybe you can do it with just Kirksey, Turner and Lowry but then you'll have to be really creative with the contracts to keep the 2021 CAP hit low enough on those guys. Which of course means pushing some big CAP hits into future years, which might be trouble with how poorly they are drafting right now.

I don't know Danno . . . if I'm looking at the right numbers, cutting Rodgers in 2021 carries a dead CAP hit of $30mil so cutting him saves you only $5mil in CAP space, not nearly enough to get those 3 deals done.

To those who don't like the idea of cutting P.Smith, I don't disagree, but if you want Clark and Bahk, it's not gonna get done by cutting nickel and dime contracts. You need to find a bunch on money. Now, maybe you can do it with just Kirksey, Turner and Lowry but then you'll have to be really creative with the contracts to keep the 2021 CAP hit low enough on those guys. Which of course means pushing some big CAP hits into future years, which might be trouble with how poorly they are drafting right now.
Consider extending Davante Adams a year early. His cap in 2021 is $16M with only ~$3M as dead money.
Extend him in 2021 and depending on structure you could gain ~$10M

Consider extending Davante Adams a year early. His cap in 2021 is $16M with only ~$3M as dead money.
Extend him in 2021 and depending on structure you could gain ~$10M

Hadn't really thought about going down that path. Might be workable, but still creates back-loaded deals that all come to a head down the road. Guess you can take the stance that you worry about that when the time comes . . . and that might well be 2022 when cutting Rodgers gets you $22+mil in CAP savings (or 2023 when you get $26mil) and mostly fixes the problem for you. Still, even that becomes a problem if you have multiple back-loaded deals that start hitting the CAP at $15+mil each at that point.

In the end they need to draft much better than they have to get more bang for your buck from those lower priced guys on rookie contracts.

In the end they need to draft much better than they have to get more bang for your buck from those lower priced guys on rookie contracts.

amen. gute has to improve even more than montravious does to keep his position. a big ask.

Back