Packers 2016 Depth Chart, Pre-NFL Draft Edition

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9109429.0.jpg

APC projects Green Bay's lineup as it stands before the NFL Draft.

It is still early to start in the offseason to start thinking about depth charts, but doing so is a useful exercise when trying to evaluate the holes in an NFL team's roster in advance of the NFL Draft. Today, we're doing just that for the Green Bay Packers.

Considering the Packers' extensive use of both three wide receivers and five defensive backs on offense and defense, respectively, we are including twelve "starting" positions on each unit. The additional is of course a slot receiver and a slot cornerback.

Keep in mind that this is not necessarily meant to be a projection of how the depth chart will look at the start of the regular season or even at the beginning of training camp. Let us know where you agree with our judgments and where you disagree.

OFFENSE

Position Starter Backup Third String Reserves
QB Aaron Rodgers Brett Hundley Ryan Williams
RB Eddie Lacy James Starks John Crockett
FB Aaron Ripkowski
WR1 Jordy Nelson Jeff Janis Jamel Johnson
WR2 Davante Adams Ty Montgomery Ed Williams
Slot WR Randall Cobb Ty Montgomery Jared Abbrederis
TE Richard Rodgers Jared Cook Justin Perillo Kennard Backman, Mitchell Henry
LT David Bakhtiari JC Tretter Jeremy Vujnovich Vince Kowalski
LG Josh Sitton Lane Taylor Josh Walker Matt Rotheram
C Corey Linsley JC Tretter T.J. Lang
RG T.J. Lang Lane Taylor Josh Walker Matt Rotheram
RT Bryan Bulaga JC Tretter Josh Walker Jeremy Vujnovich, Vince Kowalski

For now, Richard Rodgers maintains his hold on the starting tight end job by virtue of his familiarity and experience within the Packers' organization and offense. New addition Jared Cook could find himself in that role eventually, but he will need to prove himself in the offseason and training camp as being a better every-down option than Rodgers.

Thanks to JC Tretter's impressive performance at left tackle in the Wild-Card round of the playoffs, he gets the clear nod as David Bakhtiari's backup at that position. Tretter should be in line for more snaps in some form this season, whether that be in a slight rotation on the line or as an in-line tight end.

As a final point, that receiving corps still looks dangerous when healthy. To be sure, it's a far cry from the unit that was on the field at the end of the Packers' Divisional Round loss in Arizona.

DEFENSE

Position Starter Backup Third-String Reserves
LDE (5T) Josh Boyd Letroy Guion Mike Pennel* Ray Drew, B.J. McBryde
NT Letroy Guion Mike Pennel* William Campbell
RDE (3T) Mike Daniels Christian Ringo
LOLB Julius Peppers Datone Jones Jayrone Elliott
LILB Jake Ryan Nate Palmer Joe Thomas
MLB Sam Barrington Carl Bradford
ROLB Clay Matthews Nick Perry Jayrone Elliott
LCB Damarious Randall Quinten Rollins Demetri Goodson Robertson Daniel
Slot CB Micah Hyde Quinten Rollins Demetri Goodson
SS Morgan Burnett Chris Banjo
FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Micah Hyde
RCB Sam Shields Quinten Rollins LaDarius Gunter

* Pennel has been suspended for the first four games of the 2016 season.

Obvious areas of concern are obvious - either the 5-technique end position or nose tackle need buttressing. Josh Boyd's return will be welcome for a unit that is missing Pennel to start the season, but the bet here is that the Packers find another lineman no later than day two of the 2016 Draft.

Meanwhile, the inside linebacker tandem will not exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing offensive coordinators just yet. The secondary is a different story, however, with talent and youth at all levels. Don't be surprised if Quinten Rollins ends up as the primary slot corner by the end of training camp, but for now we have Hyde as the top option by virtue of his experience.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Position Starter Backup Reserves
K Mason Crosby
P Tim Masthay
LS Rick Lovato Justin Perillo
KR Ty Montgomery Jeff Janis Jared Abbrederis, Micah Hyde
PR Micah Hyde Ty Montgomery Randall Cobb, Jared Abbrederis

There should be few surprises here - Hyde had a rough year returning punts, with just a 5.8-yard average on 27 returns, but he is entrenched as the top option for now. Montgomery averaged over 30 yards per kickoff return in his six games, though Janis was very impressive in his time there, averaging 29 yards per return.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

At some point I'm betting Cook overtakes Rodgers for TE1.. Though those designations don't really matter in GB's offense.

At some point I'm betting Cook overtakes Rodgers for TE1.. Though those designations don't really matter in GB's offense.
Yeah week 1 LOL. Nice to have a chart going into the draft though.

That depth chart looks generally very nice! If Tretter can play OT, I have ZERO worries about the O.

But I find it disturbing how many fans are still obsessing over ILB (which admittedly is a need) and how few look at our Dline.

Here's my case why NT/DT is my front runner to be GB's 1st round pick in the draft, if such a player is on the board:

We play a ton of nickel, usually with 2 DL and 2 OLBs. If we were always able to sub, we'd be fine as we are at DL. But we will not be - other teams play hurry-up, too - meaning those 4 guys must be able to play both vs run and pass.

We're fine at OLB, and good but thin at 3-tech, with Daniels being a borderline blue chip. His backups can play either run (Guion, Boyd) or pass (Jones, Pep, Ringo?), so not ideal.

There's a big question mark at 1-tech, and that's my worry numero uno this season. A 3-down NT/DT is a super rare player type to find, since they have to both hold up against a double team AND push the pocket some in pass rush. Raji at his best was a prototype of what I mean. Pennel has the bulk to play it, and can generate some push. But even without the suspension, he has never had starter responsibility. Guion can theoretically do it, but couldn't rush at all last season, looking muscular but stiff.

The 3-down NT/DT types are usually gone by pick 15, but it's a very deep DL class. We may actually have a shot at a guy like that. If we do, screw any other needs, go for it. We may not be in position to draft another for years.

So looking at roster right now. I see TT plans to be in hog heaven after the draft. As of right now the Packers have 60 signed players to their roster. They have 9 draft picks so that means if they only draft 9 guys TT will then get to go out and sign 21 UDFA to fill out his TC roster.

Back