Opening NFL facilities

TW

Reaction score
It appears the NFL is trying to let Governors take the heat as to whether or not they open their facilities, on a limited basis. With this situation, I understand how everyone is trying to put the decisions on someone else's shoulders. We're entering what seems to be an unknown area of return to normal.

But, assuming they do allow them to be open, and some do open, and others don't, because of the incident rate in a given area, doesn't that put some teams on a better level of preparation than others? Doesn't that fly in the face of this "equal opportunity" for every team theory the league spouts?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not for or against opening up facilities. I am for opening them up, if it's safe to do so. I think it should be on a league wide basis, and all teams should agree to how it's done. Does that mean one team could hold it all up? No. I would lay out a plan, then see how each team can meet that criteria, and what they may object to, then adjust the plan, until it works out fairly for everyone.

I see the Rams and Chargers will not be opening their facilities at this time. I believe they have a legitimate reason to say no to the proposal. If you can't even get people to wear face masks on a voluntary basis out here, how in hell can you trust opening up a facility that could cause a virus to swiftly spread through a multi-billion dollar corporation where physical conditioning is the key to success? Players, who get sick, could spent months recovering to a point where they are actually ready to play again. Some quicker, but some? Months.

As much as I'd like to believe we can do this correctly, I don't have as much faith in human beings as some people do. I see how they act, and react. I don't think this will end well, if they do this too soon.

I believe NFL has already said to maintain competive balance it will not allow coaches to come to a teams facility until all teams have them open and players could only attend if they are doing rehab work.

I know yesterday CA governor Newsome said that they are targeting early June for sports to resume, and NY and TX also opened them up. What other states still have restrictions on sports?

Last edited:
If CA is opening, all states will.
one would certainly think so. our governor is about as far left as you can get and still get elected. and he definitely isn't a fan of trump so i'm sure he wouldn't open things up unless he was convinced it was necessary.

If this is as well thought out as everything else dealing with CV-19, it's going to be a very bumpy ride. I watched the NASCAR race Sunday, and it just wasn't quite the same. The personality surrounding it all is gone due to distancing. I'm not certain this will work for an extended period of time, but I guess we'll see where it goes, and hope for the best.

OTA's are washed and not going to happen. At this point my guess all places will be open late June or early July at the latest. So means guys will come in for TC. Most teams will be behind the 8 ball because players will not have really worked out for months so will be out of shape and teams will struggle to get players new to team or new offense or defenses up to speed. I think we could see a bunch of injuries in TC and early part of season as players work themselves back into shape. Also I think will see a lot of bad early football as players get themselves up to speed on the playbooks also.

Back