Offseason to-do list for Badgers basketball

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The college basketball season is officially in offseason mode after former Wisconsin Badgers basketball assistant and Green Bay native, Tony Bennett, led his Virginia Cavaliers to the national championship. For the Wisconsin Badgers the offseason has been underway for three week now thanks to a first-round exit at the hands of Oregon in the NCAA tournament. So, as we close out the 2018-19 season...

Source

Continue reading...

The next 1-2 seasons will be critical for Gard. He has to reinvent their style of play somewhat for the coming season. Even with Potter, there won't be quite the same inside presence so the same inside/out game will not quite be as available. They are gonna need to have some guys create a little more on their own. Not sure where that will come from but Reuvers and King seem the most likely options.

They also need to find a way to get improved consistency from outside from their shooters. Both Davison and Trice really seemed to have a major fall-off in their shooting as the season progressed.

In the end the last part of the article is the true issue. Gard needs to find some better success on the recruiting trail. Herro was a symptom of an ongoing problem with the perception of the program. It goes back 20 years now. The top talent, even in-state, "generally" avoids the Badgers. They build solid teams that win with solid but not spectacular talent, and those in charge need to decide if that course is good enough.

Gard needs to go on hot seat first misses tourney then gets ass kicked by a 12 seed. If he has another year like that he deserves to be fired.

The next 1-2 seasons will be critical for Gard. He has to reinvent their style of play somewhat for the coming season. Even with Potter, there won't be quite the same inside presence so the same inside/out game will not quite be as available. They are gonna need to have some guys create a little more on their own. Not sure where that will come from but Reuvers and King seem the most likely options.

They also need to find a way to get improved consistency from outside from their shooters. Both Davison and Trice really seemed to have a major fall-off in their shooting as the season progressed.

In the end the last part of the article is the true issue. Gard needs to find some better success on the recruiting trail. Herro was a symptom of an ongoing problem with the perception of the program. It goes back 20 years now. The top talent, even in-state, "generally" avoids the Badgers. They build solid teams that win with solid but not spectacular talent, and those in charge need to decide if that course is good enough.

Well in Gard’s 3 classes it produced 2 4 star kids. Not bad. I think to some perception is reality when it comes to recruiting. Herro was a one and done kid, not sure he’s here anyway next year. Wisconsin has the same recruiting challenge in hoops as it does in football. Higher academic standards and a generally small pool to recruit from. I think they will be better next year, Happ as good as he was was at times a liability

Gard needs to go on hot seat first misses tourney then gets ass kicked by a 12 seed. If he has another year like that he deserves to be fired.
Oh please. That team last year had 3 top guys injured and a frosh who should have been redshirted.

Well in Gard’s 3 classes it produced 2 4 star kids. Not bad. I think to some perception is reality when it comes to recruiting. Herro was a one and done kid, not sure he’s here anyway next year. Wisconsin has the same recruiting challenge in hoops as it does in football. Higher academic standards and a generally small pool to recruit from. I think they will be better next year, Happ as good as he was was at times a liability

Well, I guess "not bad" is relative. Not bad compared to what. Over the most recent 3 classes, I believe Northwestern has recruited the same number of 4-star kids. I'm not sure that is what the program should be striving to be. Northwestern had a better 2018 class and is on pace for a much better 2019 class. Rutgers had a 4-star kid in 2018 and has a 4-star committed for 2019, so we are now tied with them as well barring a surprise for 2019.

According to 247, UW had the #13 class for 2018 and has the #14 class for 2019 in the Big-10 . . . dead last. Harvard has a pair of 4-star kids for 2019 and they have tough academic standards. I know they are a little of an oddity, but Virginia and Northwestern have tough academic standards and they are doing better than UW. Sure UW has some recruiting challenges but they are not nearly as difficult in basketball as they are in football.

There is actually a pretty routine supply of high level recruits within the typical geographic area that UW draws from. The talent pool is not nearly as challenged as it is in football. The urban areas of Milwaukee and Chicago don't produce many football players but routinely produce high level basketball recruits, not to mention the other areas of those states. Wisconsin alone produced eight 4-star kids in the last 4 years. UW got none of them.

Now, Gard is a solid enough coach that they are still a better team despite the better recruiting from other schools. Maybe that is good enough for UW. I'm okay with playing winning basketball like they did this year, but would like to see what could be done with a little better talent.

Well, I guess "not bad" is relative. Not bad compared to what. Over the most recent 3 classes, I believe Northwestern has recruited the same number of 4-star kids. I'm not sure that is what the program should be striving to be. Northwestern had a better 2018 class and is on pace for a much better 2019 class. Rutgers had a 4-star kid in 2018 and has a 4-star committed for 2019, so we are now tied with them as well barring a surprise for 2019.

According to 247, UW had the #13 class for 2018 and has the #14 class for 2019 in the Big-10 . . . dead last. Harvard has a pair of 4-star kids for 2019 and they have tough academic standards. I know they are a little of an oddity, but Virginia and Northwestern have tough academic standards and they are doing better than UW. Sure UW has some recruiting challenges but they are not nearly as difficult in basketball as they are in football.

There is actually a pretty routine supply of high level recruits within the typical geographic area that UW draws from. The talent pool is not nearly as challenged as it is in football. The urban areas of Milwaukee and Chicago don't produce many football players but routinely produce high level basketball recruits, not to mention the other areas of those states. Wisconsin alone produced eight 4-star kids in the last 4 years. UW got none of them.

Now, Gard is a solid enough coach that they are still a better team despite the better recruiting from other schools. Maybe that is good enough for UW. I'm okay with playing winning basketball like they did this year, but would like to see what could be done with a little better talent.

And that’s a fair point. But recruiting rankings can be subjective, it’s also based on quality not just quality. My comp was vs Bo. The last class Bo had really left Gard with the cupboard bare, then add in the injuries last year it gave the perfect storm you got.

The question is do you want one and done kids to go to UW ? That will be a moot point in a year or so when the NBA changes the rules. Will the system at UW change? Doubtful but the main goal should be to win the conference first and then let the tournament sort things out

UW caught Oregon when they were hot. Happens. But this is the same coach who beat Xavier and Villanova when they were seeded higher than UW ( #1 &#2).

I wouldn't mind the occasional one and done but a school like UW certainly can't build a program off those kids. The thing is, there are high level players that are not going to be one and done and UW does not seem to be in the mix.

I'm not calling Gard out for the Oregon loss. As you say, it happens. Look no further than Virginia last year. He's a solid coach. The recruiting is my concern. Their recruiting area has been blessed with an abundance of high level talent the last few years. Gard got a couple of guys in 2017, but has mostly been shut-out the past 2 cycles. He has to show he can change that over the next 2 years or his coaching may not be enough.

I wouldn't mind the occasional one and done but a school like UW certainly can't build a program off those kids. The thing is, there are high level players that are not going to be one and done and UW does not seem to be in the mix.

I'm not calling Gard out for the Oregon loss. As you say, it happens. Look no further than Virginia last year. He's a solid coach. The recruiting is my concern. Their recruiting area has been blessed with an abundance of high level talent the last few years. Gard got a couple of guys in 2017, but has mostly been shut-out the past 2 cycles. He has to show he can change that over the next 2 years or his coaching may not be enough.
But then Bo never was what I would call an ace recruiter except for Dekker and Koenig He missed out on Looney, Hauser, Blue, Stone, Ellenson. And like I said Ryan’s last class was abysmal. And with instate recruiting especially the system was not built for a guy like McCabe.
Would Looney went to UW with a different system? 50/50. We all know the reason Hauser was lost and to some extent Ellenson.

Johnson is 50/50 in 2020 it’s UW or Duke and I can’t see Baldwin coming to Madison in 2021 he’s a lock for Duke. I just don’t see much of a difference from the Ryan era. The FF teams were a perfect storm with 2 in state kids staying and kids also developed.

LEARN HOW TO MAKE FREE THROWS!

VA made its last 14. If Bucky was in that game TX Tech wins easily as we watch at least 7 of those clank around like I shot them. In fact because of 1 and 1s, Bucky probably doesn't get 14 attempts.

Bucky would have been in contention if it could make free throws.

Other things would be nice, but make free throws and watch the wins increase

Back