Official Week 8 Green Bay vs Detroit Thread

IF, and that's a big IF, MM is half the genius he thinks he is- he would open the game with short passes. Quick slants, TE hooks and swing passes to get Jones outside. If, small if because this is what he'll probably do, he tries to establish the run first (against 8 man front) we will get smoked.
You can have a ball control offense through the air, NE does it frequently. Our defense looks best on the sideline, so hit the quick rhythm passes (Hundley is much better short than long) move the chains and keep Stafford off the field.
Biggest key to the game?- MM needs to check his ego at the door and do some coaching.

Three big keys to this game (as it was last game, and probably the rest...)
  1. Coaching. A good game plan, smart game-time decisions and good adjustments are a must if we want to win. I put this at #1 same as Dubz because MM has to come up with a plan that not only gives us a chance to win, but allows Hundley to gain experience and improve as a QB. This is a chance to prove yourself a great coach, Mike, without Aaron!
  2. Defense! Capers must have this group ready to step it up, get some spark, force some punts, and put the ball back into Hundley's hands! Hopefully Burnett is back to get leadership in the backfield. HHCD looks lost without him. (Defense looked pitifully ill-prepared last week.) Defense needs to effectively pressure and blitz Stafford. He's choking when he gets pressured this year. And enough with this soft D that allows the opponents offense to chew up 10 minutes on a drive that almost always ends in a TD or TO deep in their territory. Try to keep the defense off the field so they don't wear down every time. Seriously, I'd rather see the defense take some chances and give up an occasion long play for a TD than see them out there for 10 minutes, allowing a TD and getting worn down.
  3. Offensive Line. It would be awesome to see a healthy O-Line give Hundley time to develop in the pocket.

Here's something that might help spread some hope. We can win some games with Hundley and it might just start Monday night.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...sm-packers-offense-drive-saints-mike-mccarthy

The Lions are a little banged up defensively. MM has a decent record coming out of the bye week.
After that drive Dubz, I was really excited. But then coaching went conservative, defense remained soft and OL didn't seem to give Hundley time he needs at this point... and my day was ruined, lol! I hate to blame Hundley, but he needs to make reads quicker and see open receivers. Let's hope it comes with experience.

Edit: One final point, unless you're three scores up in the fourth, MM should never go conservative with this Capers D!

I want to say; "Packers win! Packers win!"

Then reality sets in! I have no faith in Hundley, and nearly as little in Capers. That combined with over 400 yards of passing yardage by Stafford, and I just shudder at what's going to happen to our banged up secondary. Forget the fact Stafford didn't throw any TD passes last week, remember they moved the ball at will, through the air. We do not have a "bend but don't break" defense like we had in the old days, with Fritz Shurmur. Some scribes think there is, but they were obviously not on the beat back then, so don't have a clue what it really is.

The Capers defense will never measure up to a Shurmur defense as far as quality. It's just "too busy" in it's concept to be effective. The number of variable assignments is almost mind boggling.

Score: Lions 34 Packers 17

I may regret this but I am going Green Bay 27 Detroit 20, MM is decent at home off a bye week.

I think I read he was 9-2 during his tenure. Of course, the key is, who were his QB's during that time? Not sure Hundley measures up. We'll see what magic MM has this week.

Hmmm...I have to say, I am sticking to my prediction that the Pack will lose. Look at our defense below:

25th in sacks per pass attempt (5.29)
30th in red-zone touchdown percentage (73.68)
24th in third-down success rate (41.86)
Tied for 32nd in most 20-yard rushes allowed (nine)
Tied for 26th in most rushing touchdowns allowed (seven)
19th in opponent passer rating (90.2)
22nd in tackles for loss (34)
Tied for 28th in quarterback knockdowns, including sacks (33)
Tied for 17th in interceptions (six)

Halfway through the season this wont change much. Those are defensive coordinator firing numbers.
Oh wait...nope they aren't. rofl(

In theory:
We're as healthy as we've been almost all year on defense.
MM has had two weeks and a day to get ready.
I never think we're going to lose to division foe in Lambeau.

Packers 26 Lions 24 (Crosby is 4 of 5 on FGs with one horrendous snap)

In theory:
We're as healthy as we've been almost all year on defense.
MM has had two weeks and a day to get ready.
I never think we're going to lose to division foe in Lambeau.

Packers 26 Lions 24 (Crosby is 4 of 5 on FGs with one horrendous snap)

I like your enthusiasm Dubz! Now pass the bottle.... I need some of that stuff to make me feel better about this one. br)

Back