Official 2016 Week 5 Green Bay vs New York Giants Thread

I agree. The guys you listed did give us even more than we should expect, from where drafted. I just listed a few and figured others would add to the list like you did.

The whole idea of the list is an exercise in trying to figure out how well Thompson drafted. I think each of us has a little different perception. I hope others add to the list. It might surprise all of us as to how well Thompson has actually drafted.

What's sad about those listed is they were in the first four rounds, and usually you get at least a serviceable player from the draft at each of those levels.

What's sad about those listed is they were in the first four rounds, and usually you get at least a serviceable player from the draft at each of those levels.

And when you miss in those rounds, depth and talent level suffer.

How The Packers Were Built

Year, Draft (35), WAIVERS (1), Free Agents (17)

QB Aaron Rodgers D1

K Mason Crosby D6c

WR Jordy Nelson D2a
LS Brett Goode - FA

LB Clay Matthews D1b
T/G T.J. Lang D4

T Bryan Bulaga D1
S Morgan Burnett D3
RB James Starks D6
CB Sam Shields - FA

WR Randall Cobb D2

LB Nick Perry D1
DT Mike Daniels D4a
T/G Don Barclay - FA

DE Datone Jones D1
RB Eddie Lacy D2
T David Bakhtiari D4a
C/G JC Tretter D4b
CB Micah Hyde D5a
S Chris Banjo - FA
G Lane Taylor - FA

S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix D1
WR Davante Adams D2
TE Richard Rodgers D3b
WR Jared Abbrederis D5b
WR Jeff Janis D7
LB Jayrone Elliott - FA
DT Letroy Guion - FA
DE Julius Peppers - FA
TE Justin Perillo - FA

DB Damarious Randall D1
CB Quinten Rollins D2
WR Ty Montgomery D3
LB Jake Ryan D4
QB Brett Hundley D5
FB Aaron Ripkowski D6a
DT Christian Ringo D6b
CB LaDarius Gunter - FA
LB Joe Thomas ( Practice Squad - Dallas)

DT Kenny Clark D1
T Jason Spriggs D2
LB Kyler Fackrell D3
LB Blake Martinez D4a
DE Dean Lowry D4b
WR Trevor Davis D5
T Kyle Murphy D6
P Jacob Schum - Waivers Tampa Bay
S Kentrell Brice - FA
QB Joe Callahan - FA
TE Jared Cook - FA
S Marwin Evans - FA
CB Josh Hawkins - FA
DT Brian Price - FA

Interesting how the undrafted FA have risen dramatically after the 2011 SB year.

Maybe part of the reason we dont have the depth we need at some positions.

Some of the increased UDFA's has to do with the fact that these guys tend to be bottom of the roster guys with some exceptions. Most of them get replaced within a few years. The most recent UDFAs are of course on the roster in greater numbers. That said, it's quite surprising how many are regular contributors - Thomas, Taylor, Shields, Gunter, Banjo, Brice, Elliott.

Part of the reason for more UDFA's making the team might be two-fold. First, it seems like they are really focused on high athleticism in their UDFA's now. Less productive freak athletes seem to have a better chance in the NFL than "productive" college players who are not particularly athletic.

The second reason might be that the Packers seem to be making fewer late round draft picks in recent years. I remember when Trader Ted seemed to make several deals each year and end up with 3-5 picks in rounds 6&7. More recently, that doesn't seem to be the case, so maybe a couple more UDFAs are making the squad in place of previous years' late round picks.

I wonder how much of a difference there really is between a kid taken in rounds 6 & 7 and UDFAs...?

I don't think there is much of a difference. I'm guessing though that in some of those past years we may have kept a draft pick over an UDFA. TT really seems to want to give his picks a chance. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that he values picks and wants to be sure before he cuts them loose.

I wonder how much of a difference there really is between a kid taken in rounds 6 & 7 and UDFAs...?
Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round, Antonio Brown was also picked in the 6th, Marques Colston in the 7th, Richard Sherman in the 5th and Bart Starr in the 17th.

Point is is that lots of gems are chosen in the later rounds.

Back