NFL Heads to the Supreme Court in TV Rights Case

Pack I would agree that it's most likely the streaming services that are trying to break up the monopoly - again, they want their slice of the big pie. And as I said I'm not against the breakup - if they can provide the same content, with all the necessary bandwidth, at a lower price than the NFL Direct Ticket (btw the price of the NFL package is now unreasonably high). Disney+ is already having problems with bandwidth, and if you think about the Millions that would be streaming games, all at the same time . . . .
Howard.....relevant article and interesting
Pack I would agree that it's most likely the streaming services that are trying to break up the monopoly - again, they want their slice of the big pie. And as I said I'm not against the breakup - if they can provide the same content, with all the necessary bandwidth, at a lower price than the NFL Direct Ticket (btw the price of the NFL package is now unreasonably high). Disney+ is already having problems with bandwidth, and if you think about the Millions that would be streaming games, all at the same time . . . .
Howard.....relevant article and interesting

The NFL is obviously the odd sport, as both MLB and NBA (NHL?) have their individual team broadcasts - which get funneled into aggregators like the MLB network, Fox Sports, etc.

The NFL is obviously the odd sport, as both MLB and NBA (NHL?) have their individual team broadcasts - which get funneled into aggregators like the MLB network, Fox Sports, etc.
But again this is streaming / digital. MLB & NBA has previously bundled digital into their local TV/Radio packages. The ability to locally sell streaming rights opens up a new revenue channel for clubs. Imagine GB selling individual streaming rights? That’s currently in the league domain but this case could end that

if the end game is to have each team offer their own streaming package, i will stand in line to subscribe to the packers. i only got to see a handful of the games this season

if the end game is to have each team offer their own streaming package, i will stand in line to subscribe to the packers. i only got to see a handful of the games this season

I'm in the same boat as you. I would definitely subscribe

I pay less than $200 a year for the NBA package on TV and streaming with Amazon Prime. I pay over $300 a year for Sunday Ticket. Let's say roughly $500 a year to enjoy my games. When you consider I could pay that much or more for my wife and I to attend just one Packer game, and just a couple of Bucks games, I have a pretty good deal.

What's nice about my two deals is that I get all the games, not just a few. Those not on the NBA Channel, or other channel are automatically on with the option of which commentator package I get.

Would I opt to a deal for just the Bucks or Packers? Yes. Although I will admit that when the Packers are on their bye week, I spend a lot of time surfing through all the games to see what's happening.

I just wonder how much lost income smaller market teams would have, if this happened. I can see Jerry Jones smiling all the way to the bank, and teams like the Packers paying the price because of lower population numbers.

II just wonder how much lost income smaller market teams would have, if this happened. I can see Jerry Jones smiling all the way to the bank, and teams like the Packers paying the price because of lower population numbers.
Market size will be a minor factor. Just look at TV ratings, top 2? GB and Dallas. It’s more of a fan base number since the scale would be national. The things is numbers in home markets will be small. They already have access to 16 games. It’s the out of market number that matters

It's going to be interesting seeing how this all works out.

Back