New Topic From TitleTown Sound Off

Titletown Soundoff

Reaction score
This is the sort of game that I like when my team is coming off a couple of losses.
It’s a game the Packers should win.
It’s a game against a bad team.
It’s a matchup that Detroit hasn’t won (that is to say they haven’t won in Green Bay) since the late 1940s (#FuzzyMath.)
It’s a game that if somehow the Packers were to lose, it would be very clear that several people should be fired. There is no excuse for a loss here.

Okay, say what you will: I’m overreacting, I’m crazy, whatever. Coming off a couple losses to teams with very good defenses is one thing, but losing to this Detroit team at this time would be ridiculous. The Packers are a better team than what we’ve seen these last few weeks, and their opponent this week should not be able to take advantage of the Pack’s weaknesses. Detroit cannot execute their gameplans, much less stop an opponent from executing theirs.

They’ve got players who don’t seem to know where they’re supposed to play, coaches who don’t seem to know how to coach, front office suits who don’t know how to front office…things.

It’s seriously like they’re schoolkids on the playground; all over the place. This kid isn’t bad, that kid isn’t very good but bless ’em he’s trying, that kid doesn’t know the rules, this kid is thinking about his science fair project which is a piece of crap that doesn’t work or teach anyone anything; it just sucks. It doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do; never has and never will.

But enough about Matt Millen.

Packers CB TBD vs Calvin Johnson

Sam Shields would be ideal here, but we don’t know if he’ll be playing or not. If he’s out, there isn’t a good matchup here. It may be the one mismatch in which the Lions hold the advantage. If Shields plays, his health still has to be a concern. Whatever the Packers end up doing here may not seem adequate. Megatron is still pretty good, even if he’s starting the downside of his career. The positive for Green Bay? Johnson has an ankle injury of his own.

DT B.J. Raji vs G Laken Tomlinson

Tomlinson may very well be Detroit’s best lineman, but he doesn’t play left tackle. He’s an inside guy, which means that at some point Raji will probably get to face him. If and when this happens, Raji could get a fight. Okay, bad choice of words…Raji could have a challenge. This might be the only matchup in the trenches that the Lions can feel very good about.

WR Randall Cobb vs CB Darius Slay

Slay has been doing a decent job in coverage. Detroit will probably utilize a lot of zone against the Packers, but if Slay gets Cobb one-on-one, he should hold his own pretty well. Cobb will get moved around, and he will probably have a good game, just keep in mind that he may do less if Slay is on him. Outside of this matchup, the Packers receivers should be able to get open. It’s a concept that is foreign to me after these last couple weeks, but it just might happen; James Jones, Davante Adams, and Ty Montgomery could all have big days.

OLB Clay Matthews vs QB Matthew Stafford

Perusing a Lions’ message board, I came across someone who said that the upcoming games against the Lions should lock Matthews into the Pro Bowl. So needless to say, that O-Line is not going to be looking forward to any pass rush scheme Dom Capers uses against them. They are a young line. They haven’t had much help from Stafford or the coaching staff this season, and I don’t see any reason to believe that they’re going to be much better this week. Don’t expect help from tight end Eric Ebron; he’s a receiver, not a blocker. Matthews should have a field day, as should Peppers and anyone else who plays OLB, and Stafford…well, he won’t need to hit the treadmill at all this week. Mind you, if he does, he’ll probably break his hand. It’s been that kind of season.

Dom Capers vs Green Bay Packers fans

Two-thirds of the Titletown Sound podcast crew have said they are on the “Fire Dom Capers” bandwagon. Seeing what the fan base has to say during and after this game should be interesting. If the defense plays well, how many fans will have a short-term memory and put Capers back in their good graces? How many won’t? If the defense plays poorly, how much louder will the bandwagon’s clamor become? Whether the defense plays well or not should depend largely on the previous point: can Matthews and friends get to Stafford quickly enough to force bad throws and/or sacks?

This is a game with high expectations for us Packer fans and rightly so. The team has frustrations to vent and a weaker opponent to vent them on. There are no good reasons to lose this game or even to let it be close toward the end. It’s like Pride of Detroit said, “While the Packers are collectively fighting for a division title, the Lions are individually fighting for their jobs.”

Thank you for reading. David Bobke is a featured writer for Titletown Sound Off. You can follow him on Twitter @ThatsOurBobbo. For even more Packers content, follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

Continue reading @http://titletownsoundoff.com/ ...

How many sacks does CM3 have to this point? Have they been keeping him primarily in the middle or have They been moving him around? The Packers should,win handily today but I'm always a little more nervous about these division games. Its been many, many years since Detroit has won in GB but like most streaks, they eventually end. Its not likely to end today but the Packers need to be prepared and focused.

Back