New DC and position coaches Thread

silverstein: "In two games against Ryan-Pettine defenses (Baltimore and NYJ), QB Aaron Rodgers has completed 23 of 49 passes for 235 yards and an interception (52.7 rating). He was sacked 5 times."

silverstein: "In two games against Ryan-Pettine defenses (Baltimore and NYJ), QB Aaron Rodgers has completed 23 of 49 passes for 235 yards and an interception (52.7 rating). He was sacked 5 times."

To be fair, the most recent of those games was 2010 with the Jets, and they had a GREAT D that year. Great secondary personnel. Can’t put too much stock in those numbers.

here's what walterfootball.com has to say about the packers' offseason moves:

packersb_logo.gif
Packers hire OC Joe Philbin, DC Mike Pettine: A+ and A Grade

These are a pair of terrific hires. Aaron Rodgers and Joe Philbin have a great professional relationship, as Philbin used to coach Rodgers in his early playing days, including the year in which the Packers won the Super Bowl. Philbin did poorly as Miami's head coach, but some guys are just meant to be coordinators, and Philbin is one of them. Reuniting Rodgers and Philbin seems like a tremendous move that will pay off.

Pettine, meanwhile, is also a failed head coach, though to be fair, everyone fails with the Browns. More importantly, Pettine has been a great defensive coordinator over the years. In five seasons calling the defensive plays for the Jets and Bills, here's how his stop units have finished in yards allowed: 1, 3, 5, 8 and 10. I'd say that's pretty good! Pettine is a huge upgrade over Dom Capers, though he has his work cut out for him, given Green Bay's defensive personnel.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/coachfirehire.php

I see walterfootball has decided to mirror what some of us have been saying for years. "Don't judge the value of a coach by their failure as a head coach."

Many coaches are so into the nuts and bolts of coaching that they aren't good managers of the game itself. Philbin is a prime example. Where he excels is in his own little world of Xs & Os. I've said it repeatedly. He was the offense in GB, for a period of time. It was his work with Rodgers, and the rest of the offensive staff, that helped make the Packers the offensive juggernaut they were. When he left, so did a lot of the creativeness the Packers need. His being invited back spells that out in no uncertain terms.

There's only one thing I can say about it.

"Welcome back Joe. We've missed you! We're glad to see you, and looking forward to 2018."

Especially Pettine, I mean that was a disastrous situation in Cleveland. That's when Haslam and upper management forced them to play Manziel and it seemed like half their offensive staff quit because of it. Classic coach killer situation.

Gary Emanuel who was Colts DL coach last year interviewing with Packers for DL job here

Indianapolis Colts assistant special teams coach Maurice Drayton has joined the Packers’ staff, according to Jeff Hartsell of the Charleston Post and Courier.

Indianapolis Colts assistant special teams coach Maurice Drayton has joined the Packers’ staff, according to Jeff Hartsell of the Charleston Post and Courier.

Holy carp the Colts were awful the last 2 seasons ? What's with Indy North by MM ?

And to be fair, that organization has been a mess since the gross and negligent mismanagement of Andrew Luck's shoulder by ownership. Hard to tell what's what with something like that hanging over the org.

Back