New catch rule will mean more completions, more fumbles

I think there is still too much gray area. The "football move" will be the most debated term in the 2018-19 season. Probably a step in the right direction but it will bite someone in the a$$ this year.

This shouldn't be that difficult. Should be straight forward. Catch, two feet down, it's a catch. You lose the ball after that it's a fumble.

I agree with cheesedog. If you have the ball, both feet down, just like out of bounds, it's a catch. If you don't hold on to it, it's a fumble. The problem is, why wouldn't that be the same for a sideline play? That would mean it is a catch, and when you fall and don't hold onto the ball, it's a fumble forced by the ground, so therefore, not a fumble. Pass complete!

Gonna be problems here simply because they only have tunnel vision making decisions. They need to cover all the ramifications.

I agree with cheesedog. If you have the ball, both feet down, just like out of bounds, it's a catch. If you don't hold on to it, it's a fumble. The problem is, why wouldn't that be the same for a sideline play? That would mean it is a catch, and when you fall and don't hold onto the ball, it's a fumble forced by the ground, so therefore, not a fumble. Pass complete! ...

that's where it gets murky imho. in a bang-bang play in real time, the ball might be in the receiver's grasp for less than a second. plants both feet inbounds, snags the ball as he's falling, arms outreached, he hits the ground a split second later and the ball pops out. is it really a "catch". how can you say he had control? i don't think it's as clear cut as we would like it to be.

that's where it gets murky imho. in a bang-bang play in real time, the ball might be in the receiver's grasp for less than a second. plants both feet inbounds, snags the ball as he's falling, arms outreached, he hits the ground a split second later and the ball pops out. is it really a "catch". how can you say he had control? i don't think it's as clear cut as we would like it to be.

They've turned one muddy rule into another muddy rule, because they can't seem to reach consensus. Rather dumb of a group handling that many billions of dollars.

Back