Mike Daniels recovery?

TW

Reaction score
I've read several small blurbs about how Daniels is on the road to recovery from his foot injury. They held him out of OTA, but until I actually see where he's on the field, moving through training, I'm not a bit convinced he's going to be ready to go on opening day.

I do know that the coaching staff said they were going to cut back on his playing time, and sometimes that statement is associated with, "We're going to slowly phase him out of a full time role." Not saying that's going to happen, just saying it's a possible scenario for down the road.

I think we'll understand fully where this is going when they get about one week into camp.

I'd hold him out of everything so he doesn't aggrevate that injury, and trade him for player depth. He's not going to bring back depth at OT, but maybe some depth at TE, slot WR, CB. He's brought diminishing returns the past couple seasons, and I think for the first time we have appropriate depth on the DL where they can both keep Kenny Clark fresh by playing him less but not lose performance in the process.

Daniels is 30 years old. Not player he once was but I think he can be effective if you have him as a limited snap player this year. Also he will most likely be gone after this year unless he produces enough and comes back on a team friendly deal I can't see him being a Packer in 2020.

With all the personnel upgrades around him, and with a lesser burden in snaps, he better produce numbers like he had in 2017 (49 tackles/5 sacks), otherwise he is being grossly overpaid with an $8M+ base salary and cap hit of more than $10M.

If he gets to play during pre-season, and he plays well, it may not be out of the question to see him get traded for a 2020 draft pick (4th?/5th?) because if you let him walk in FA you will get no comp pick because in all likelihood Gute will sign a FA next year that cancels the comp pick of Daniels.

In situations like this I ask myself what would coach B do?

I would have limited practice in TC and maybe a few snaps.in preseason or showcase him.

Limited role in first couple of games and hope he flashes and then trade him vs getting nothing for him next year like TT used to do

you have to have a willing trade partner. who is going to want him?

you have to have a willing trade partner. who is going to want him?
A lot, or any, trade value that Daniels may have could be predicated upon training camp/pre-season/early season injuries that another team suffers and need a veteran replacement.
That would be the best scenario, imo.

Can't see any team wanting Daniels he has nearly $8 million salary with base and roster bonus no team is going to want that contract. If anything Daniels would be released if Packers felt he was not worth his contract at end of TC.

That very well could be the case as well.

A lot will hinge on the development of Fadol Brown, Tyler Lancaster and draft pick Kingsly Keke.

The Packers saw "enough" from Brown last year to keep him as an ERFA (aka cheap)
Lancaster flashed late in the year. I think he averaged 5-6 tackles/game over the final 5 games.
If Keke comes as advertised, his pass rush ability could be a deciding factor on whether the keep or move on from Daniels this year or next.

Pettine has a very very deep DL right now. It will be interesting to watch what DL skills/qualities mean the most in the bigger picture.

Back