Mets pour it on against Matt Garza, Brewers

Mueller

The Gunslinger From Greenbush
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-vs-mets-b99500943z1-304009921.html

Just as the skies began to open up over Citi Field on Saturday night, the floodgates opened on Matt Garza and the Milwaukee Brewers.

The timing certainly was fitting.

Sending 15 batters to the plate in the fourth inning, the New York Mets racked up nine hits and 10 runs in sending the Brewers to their most lopsided defeat in almost five years, 14-1.

The majority of the damage came against Garza, who was tagged for 10 hits, a career-high 10 runs (earned) and three walks over 31/3 innings. Brandon Kintzler came on and allowed three more hits before finally setting the Mets down.

"It was just not a good night," said Garza. "Frankly, I sucked. There's nothing else left to say. It's on me. My job is to go deep; I didn't. I didn't get anywhere close to what I wanted to accomplish.

"You just wear it and move on."

The blowup fourth opened with the Mets up, 1-0, and a single by Michael Cuddyer. Daniel Murphy followed with a walk and Eric Campbell bunted them up to bring up Kevin Plawecki, who hit a ground ball to shortstop Luis Sardiñas.

Sardiñas made a throw home that was high and wide, and Cuddyer slid in safely to make it 2-0. Mets starter Jacob deGrom singled to load the bases for No. 9 hitter Wilmer Flores, who then sneaked a grand slam just over the wall in left-center to extend New York's lead to 6-0.

Curtis Granderson and Juan Lagares followed with singles, Lucas Duda walked and Cuddyer doubled in his second at-bat of the inning as the lead ballooned to 8-0. That was the end for Garza (2-5), who came in off a seven-inning, three-hit, nine-strikeout performance against the Chicago Cubs on May 10.

"It just happened fast," manager Craig Counsell said. "We didn't make the play on the ground ball to Sardiñas. We didn't get an out there. He then makes a mistake to Flores and it snowballed pretty fast.

"I wish I could have gotten him out of there sooner, and I should have."

Murphy greeted Kintzler with a two-run double, and Campbell followed with a single to make it 11-0.

After Plawecki struck out, deGrom followed with his third single of the night and second of the inning — becoming the first pitcher to accomplish the feat since Adam Wainwright against the Brewers on April 13, 2013 — before Flores finally grounded out to end the frame.

"It's a head-scratcher, but you just keep going. Especially the way I threw last time," Garza said of his 68-pitch effort Saturday. "You take it as it goes. It's a weird game. The ball bounces one way (one night) and the other way another night. You flush it and go.

"I've had them before, and obviously you hate having it, but they happen."

The 10-run inning was the largest by a major-league team since Sept. 11, 2013, when the Oakland A's scored 10 in the fourth at Minnesota. The last time a National League team scored 10 or more runs in an inning was July 21, 2012, when the St. Louis Cardinals scored 12 in the seventh against the Cubs.

It was the first time since Aug. 29, 2002, against the Cubs that the Brewers had allowed 10 runs in an inning. The club record is 12 scored by the Cincinnati Reds on Aug. 7, 1998.

It was also just the fourth time the Mets had scored 10 or more runs in an inning in franchise history. The last time was July 16, 2006, when they scored 11 against the Cubs.

New York's nine hits in an inning were the most by any team this year.

Milwaukee averted the shutout when Ryan Braun drove in Sardiñas with a sacrifice fly against deGrom (4-4) in the sixth, with the rain diminishing around the same time. The reigning NL rookie of the year allowed five hits and a walk while striking out six to even his record at 4-4.

New York capped the scoring in the seventh when Plawecki hit a solo homer and Granderson a two-run shot, both off Neal Cotts.

The double-digit loss was the Brewers' third of the season through 37 games. They lost by double digits three times last season, with their largest defeat by a 13-2 score at San Francisco on Aug. 29.

The last time the Brewers lost by at least 13 runs was on July 7, 2010, against the Giants.

"I think it was just an ugly game," Counsell said. "That's why we're happy there's a game tomorrow. You flush it when you leave the ballpark and get ready for tomorrow."

That's what is nice about baseball. You have another game the following day to try and remove this awful taste out of your mouth. Today should be better. It can't be much worse. FCC(

Back