McGinn: 2016 Packer ratings

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...d-tally-2016-weekly-packers-ratings/96995034/

It was a season of improvement on offense and slippage on defense for the Green Bay Packers in 2016.
That was reflected in the final football totals in the 26th annual installment of the Journal Sentinel’s “Rating the Packers” weekly feature.
After a down year in 2015, the offensive line repeated its 2014 performance as the best of the Packers’ nine position areas.

Here are the football totals and 19-game averages for each of the position groups:
Offensive line: 66 (3.47)
Quarterbacks: 65 ½ (3.45)
Kickers: 59 (3.11)
Special teams: 57 ½ (3.03)
Receivers: 57 (3.00)
Running backs: 57 (3.00)
Linebackers: 52 ½ (2.76)
Defensive line: 52 (2.74)
Defensive backs: 47 (2.47)

GBRATESEASON25G.jpg

Overall, the Packers totaled 59 footballs, or 3.11 per game. Last year, the overall total was 50 ½ footballs in 18 games, or 2.81 per game.
As a point of reference, the Packers totaled 73 footballs in 20 games (3.65) in 2010, their last championship season. In 1996, another Super Bowl-winning season, the Packers totaled 73 footballs in 19 games (3.84).
Just eighth a year ago with an average of 2.75 footballs, the offensive line averaged 3.47 this year to lead the position groups. The unit also finished first in 2014 with an average of 3.81.
The only other first-place finish for the offensive line was 2003 (3.89 average).
The offensive line never had a game with fewer than 2 footballs this season. During the eight-game winning streak, the unit had at least 4 footballs seven times.
The quarterbacks, who were third a year ago, improved to second place. In the 26 years of these ratings the quarterbacks have finished first 15 times.
All four position groups on offense showed improvement this season. The offensive line was plus-.72, the receivers (wide receivers and tight ends combined) were plus-.56, the quarterbacks were plus-.48 and the running backs were plus-.08.
Special teams showed a gain of plus-.25 whereas the kickers had the exact same average as a year ago.
On defense, slippage was evident at defensive back (minus-.59), defensive line (minus-.43) and linebacker (minus-.24).
The maximum total of five footballs were awarded six times, one more than last year. The quarterbacks – that is, Aaron Rodgers – earned five against Seattle and Minnesota. The kickers had five against Minnesota and at Dallas. The running backs were given five at Chicago and the defensive backs earned five against Seattle.
As an overall team, the Packers received five footballs for their 38-10 victory over Seattle. It was their first five-football game since the back-to-back triumphs over Chicago (55-14) and Philadelphia (53-20) in mid-2014.
Defensive tackle Mike Daniels and Rodgers shared the team lead in individual player of the game honors with three. Rodgers has either won or shared the top spot five times in his nine-year career as the starter. He was No. 1 a record seven times during the 17-game season of 2011.

Ranking the stars

Here are the 27 members of the Green Bay Packers who received mention among the three stars in the Journal Sentinel’s “Rating the Packers” weekly series this season. Being a No. 1 star was worth 3 points, a No. 2 star was worth 2 and a No. 3 star was worth 1.

Player, Position, No. 1-2-3 star, Total points
Aaron Rodgers, QB, 3-3-0, 15
Mike Daniels, DT, 3-0-0, 9
Davante Adams, WR, 2-0-2, 8
Ty Montgomery, RB-WR, 2-1-0, 8
Nick Perry, OLB, 1-2-1, 8
Randall Cobb, WR, 1-2-0, 7
LaDarius Gunter, CB, 1-2-0, 7
Jordy Nelson, WR, 1-2-0, 7
T.J. Lang, G, 1-1-0, 5
Julius Peppers, OLB, 0-2-1, 5
David Bakhtiari, T, 0-2-0, 4
Bryan Bulaga, T, 0-1-2, 4
Morgan Burnett, S, 0-1-2, 4
Mason Crosby, K, 1-0-0, 3
Trevor Davis, WR, 1-0-0, 3
Eddie Lacy, RB, 1-0-0, 3
Damarious Randall, CB, 1-0-0, 3
Jake Ryan, ILB, 0-0-2, 2
Geronimo Allison, WR, 0-0-1, 1
Don Barclay, T-G, 0-0-1, 1
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, 0-0-1, 1
Jared Cook, TE, 0-0-1, 1
Micah Hyde, CB-S, 0-0-1, 1
Corey Linsley, C, 0-0-1, 1
Clay Matthews, OLB, 0-0-1, 1
Lane Taylor, G, 0-0-1, 1
Joe Thomas, ILB, 0-0-1, 1

After reading this article, I came away with a few things that I'd thought all along. Peppers was our best LB. Matthews was just barely average. Blame the injuries for Matthews problems, but it happens every year now, doesn't it?

I see both of our CBs from the draft a couple years back graded out horribly. I totally agree with it. Our free agent CBs are better schooled, and more productive on the field. I agree with this too.

I see McGinn was disappointed with several guys on the DL who should have stepped up. I agree with that too.

I also noticed how his rankings didn't recognize Fackrell and Martinez as being viable options at ILB. I disagree here. They were asked to handle impossible tasks at times, and were judged harshly by not being able to perform them. In the Capers system, the ILBs have to be as big as a DL, have the speed of a CB, and the ability to be in two places at one time, because of their assignments. They're caught in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario on way too many plays. That comes out often with play action passing, where the LB has gap integrity, and then is expected to pick up a faster WR when he's certain it's a passing play. Kind of a lot of responsibility there because the concept of how they cover these guys is wrong.

Excellent evaluation across the board. Not a good report card by any means.

I wouldn't term it excellent. McGinn is a reporter. If he was any good at evaluation he'd have a higher paying job in the NFL. He doesn't have any super powers and he isn't any better connected than some of the posters on this website.

Anyone on this board already knows our defense was probably a 'D' this year with about a month stretch of solid 'F' play. Yes, he broke it down to individual players, accurate or not, but that's his job. To sell copy by covering the Packers. Sorry, but I get tired of McGinn pretty fast. I don't remember him actually breaking a story for years.

[bcolor=#ffff00]" I also noticed how his rankings didn't recognize Fackrell and Martinez as being viable options at ILB. I disagree here. They were asked to handle impossible tasks at times, and were judged harshly by not being able to perform them. In the Capers system, the ILBs have to be as big as a DL, have the speed of a CB, and the ability to be in two places at one time, because of their assignments.[/bcolor]

I am sorry but no sir your incorrect... you don't need a bigger inside backer... the issue has been and continues to be the DL inability to control their gaps... Anytime a LB has to block a OG/OT continuously(regardless of size) your going to get your ass beat.

This system has worked at many levels with smaller speed ILB however they put 3 gap control DL in front of them.

After reading this article, I came away with a few things that I'd thought all along. Peppers was our best LB. Matthews was just barely average. Blame the injuries for Matthews problems, but it happens every year now, doesn't it?

What happens every year? Injuries? Matthews playing average? Either is a load of BS.

Matthews missed a few games this year but played in every game the 2 previous seasons. He has missed 4 out of 55 games in 3 seasons. Did Matthews have a great season this year no but to act like he's a washed up has been is a not fair either.

Peppers was damn good this year. Last year many were arguing that he should be let go because he was not very good. This year he was the best LB. No body out side the organization knows how bad Matthews was hurt but we do know that his injury will most likely require surgery. I give him a ton of credit for playing through it. Obviously he was better than the replacement or he would not have been on the field.

I repeat! Matthews has been playing injured most of the time. He fought to make it through this season instead of opting out, for surgery. It takes it's toll on his game.

When you play with a bad hamstring, you don't play 100%. That's fact. When you play with a separated shoulder, you don't play 100%. That's fact. When you play with a torn bicep, you don't play 100%. That's fact.

Over the years, it's happened to him repeatedly, but he's toughed it out, and made the best of it, having some pretty decent years along the way. This year was less productive because he was hurting so bad, and back on the outside, where he needed to be more physically able than he had to be, inside. That's fact.

At no time did I state he was washed up. At no time did I say he didn't play the best he can. I simply said that he's going to be playing with injuries for pretty much the rest of his career. Why? Because he's damaged muscles, joints, and just about everything else you can damage. History repeats itself, with injuries. As an example, he's had hamstring trouble almost every year since his rookie year. It never really totally goes away, but he's played past it repeatedly. Each year, with each injury, and now the surgery, it gets tougher to get in shape, and play at the level you played, before the injury.

Sorry! His play was not that of a super star linebacker this year, like it or not. We can only hope it comes back next year, and it might, but sitting here and saying he played better than he did isn't something I'm prepared to do. You're entitled to your opinion, but don't tell me my opinion is BS, just because you happen to disagree with it.

I always single out Datone Jones for overpursuit and poor gap control but it's something they all kinda do. Daniels makes plays but also runs himself out of plays. Clark improved but he still seems a little undersized, not sure what his ceiling is. Guion will just kinda be around in GB until he isn't, if that makes sense. Lowry showed some hustle but like Clark, what's his ceiling?

Every year it seems like we get further and further philosophically from what Capers D is supposed to be - run stuffing, disciplined DL, play making OLB, rangy ILB.

[bcolor=#ffff00]" I also noticed how his rankings didn't recognize Fackrell and Martinez as being viable options at ILB. I disagree here. They were asked to handle impossible tasks at times, and were judged harshly by not being able to perform them. In the Capers system, the ILBs have to be as big as a DL, have the speed of a CB, and the ability to be in two places at one time, because of their assignments.[/bcolor]

I am sorry but no sir your incorrect... you don't need a bigger inside backer... the issue has been and continues to be the DL inability to control their gaps... Anytime a LB has to block a OG/OT continuously(regardless of size) your going to get your ass beat.

This system has worked at many levels with smaller speed ILB however they put 3 gap control DL in front of them.

My statement was that to play the position in the Capers scheme, you'd have to be that big, and at the same time, that fast. Whether that's because the Packers DL sucks, or the schemes suck. doesn't matter. It's a problem, and if the front three isn't addressed, and likely won't be, nobody you find will be good enough to play ILB for the Packers.

Back