McCarthy: We're an 8-4 team that needs to be better at little things

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay -- The following is a summary of Packers coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference Wednesday morning:

- (On practice) Was good. Today an abbreviated Wednesday and we'll go padded on Thursday.
- (On offensive line) Well, when you go through these things this time of year, I think you have to be very in tune with the workload of the whole team and the stress points of each individual. And that’s really a big part of any head coach’s job, especially when you get into December football. So we’re going to make sure every player gets what they need to be ready for the game, and more important make sure our team’s ready for the game. So it’s more of an individual answer and every guy has something he’s dealing with.
- (On Lacy) Yes, he had a good practice.
- (On Jake Ryan) Yeah, Jake has played good football, special teams. He’s really started to grow at inside linebacker. Sometimes we forget that the inside linebacker position is the key communicator, and particularly the ones that take the call from the sideline. So I think his communication, urgency and the quality of it has picked up and that’s important. He’s an instinctive player, obviously he’s productive, but he’s a young guy that needs a lot of work.
- (On finishing strong) I think every year is different. I think the urgency and importance... any time you go through a long season you have a long process that has continuity and process and committment and at the end your focus is better.
- (On using it to show team) I think the plan of how we look at the season, breaking it down to three stages, building identity, the second is the trial, the middle of the season, the gut-wrenching part and we were 2-4. Now it's the finish. We went back and reviewed some things we need to focus on.
- (On running ball) You have to run the ball and stop the run. To be two dimensional you have to be able to run the ball to pass the ball. And we have to stop the running game and make them one-dimensional. That's our focus.
- (On viewing team) We're 8-4 team that needs to be better at little things. Need to be detailed more.

Continue reading...

Back