McCarthy Presser 8/25/15

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
The following is a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's pre-practice press conference:

(On moving on without Jordy Nelson) I think first off you have to recognize the fact that Jordy is, he is what you look for as far as a Green Bay Packer. When you have the opportunity to build a program, a championship program, and you talk about what you want your players to look like, act like, he’s a prime example of that. He’s a great husband, great teammate, obviously an outstanding football player, but these things happen. You don’t know why. It’s part of it. It’s part of our game. From a personal standpoint, you feel bad for Jordy, particularly his case of coming off surgery last year. I just think back to February, March, April when no one’s here and he’s in here every day. It’s tough. It’s a tough blow to our football, but as we spoke in the team meeting: Nothing’s changed. Our goal hasn’t changed. When things like this happen, a good system with a good football team, adjustments are made. So we will adjust and keep moving.

(On grooming the young WRs) Well, I would think after the corrections that were made today that everybody on our team [understands] we need to pick it up some. We had areas of our team that played very well. We had areas of our team that didn’t play very well. The receiver group in particular, they need to pick it up. So the younger guys in that group, it’s a training camp of opportunity that they need to take more advantage of.

(On T.J. Lang and Scott Tolzien) They're both in the concussion protocol.

(On Jared Abbrederis) Jared is still going through the concussion protocol. I knew on the field when he fell that it was serious. I was hoping it was his back, so he's still working his way through it.

(On Morgan Burnett) Morgan, he has returned from Atlanta.

(On David Bakhtiari) David Bakhtiari, just spoke to him earlier, he's improving and based on the path and the plan for him this week, if he gets to the point, I wouldn't be comfortable playing him without practice, so I think tomorrow's practice will be important. Friday will be the shorter practice, so he needs to get on the practice field.

(On backup LT) We'll see. We don't ahve a lot of work today. Don Barclay needs to work today. We'll continue to work these guys.

(On Nelson's attitude) He's doing better. Obviously, Sunday was a tough day for him. Any time you're thinking the worst and go through testing and it's confirmed it was a tough 24 hours.

(On Aaron Rodgers wrist) He's doing OK. I anticipate he'll practice today.

(On Nelson's presence) Knowing him he'll still be here. He'll do everything he possibly can to help us as a football team.

(On playing starters in preseason) The injury occurred first series of the game. You go back and look at it. it's one of those things. If you're asking how many preseason games, that's for the off-season discussion.

(On figuring out playing time) Trust me, I completely understand Aaron’s opinion. We talk about a lot of things. This is the game of football. You have to play, whether it’s two games or three games and things like that. Those are all discussions that I’m a part of with Mark Murphy and we try to have a better understanding of philosophy moving forward. You’re getting the team ready to play. We hit our target in New England, even more so, frankly, as far as the number of plays. The medical report does factor into your path through training camp. You’re aware of that and it will affect the way we play the game Saturday.

(On taking Rodgers out) Aaron’s hand and Josh Sitton has an ankle. Just felt it was time. And frankly, Scott Tolzien, that’s exactly what he needs. We talked about it in the locker room, myself and a couple of the other coaches, to make sure I got Matt (Blanchard) another opportunity in the fourth quarter.
(On No. 1s) Game continuity. You look for those long drives. Our offense has had three established long drives. We've only played two games. Look for tempo and execution. You can get that in four quarters of work, sometimes three quarters of work. Sometimes it's six quarters of work.

(On QBs Brett Hundley and Matt Blanchard) Huge work for them. They may be playing against Philadelphia's No. 1s potentially. They'll be playing against top competition.

(On facing read-option this week) We have a period we work in practice. You look at football, it's a game of numbers. Offense is playing 10 on 11 and you put a fake in with the quarterback with the ball in his hands then it's 11 on 11. It's different. It's been in the league for awhile. You have to practice against it. If another team has a guy with the ball we're going to hit him.

(On Clay Matthews) Hoping he can do more. He's progressing.

Interesting comment on Abbredaris. Could it actually be some kind of neck or spinal thing?

Could be a neck/spine thing, but usually those are diagnosed quickly. It's certainly possible that they are witholding information and just calling it a concussion for now. Still, with the way stuff seems to leak out, you'd think we'd have gotten some inkling if something more is involved.

I assume Tolzien will be "out" for this game so it might be AR for a quarter or so, followed by Hundley and Blanchard getting a lot of reps. AR might not even get a full quarter if the OL play continues to be as shoddy as it was last week. With both BahkT and Lang likely out, I don't need to see AR getting smacked a half dozen times with Barclay and Walker out there. Hopefully they are smart and put Bulaga at LT with AR in the game. Let Barclay and Walker get some reps at LT with Hundley and Blanchard at QB.

Agreed, 57.

You would think we would move Bulaga to LT anyway in the regular season, if there was an injury. Why not test that theory out now and see how it goes.

I guess the 3rd preseason game is going to be more like a 4th preseason game with all the injuries. :)

I wouldn't think so. MM said he was hoping it was his back. To me that says its a really bad concussion.

I heard he was outside in his jersey observing practice so perhaps he's getting better? FCC(

Could be a neck/spine thing, but usually those are diagnosed quickly. It's certainly possible that they are witholding information and just calling it a concussion for now. Still, with the way stuff seems to leak out, you'd think we'd have gotten some inkling if something more is involved.

I assume Tolzien will be "out" for this game so it might be AR for a quarter or so, followed by Hundley and Blanchard getting a lot of reps. AR might not even get a full quarter if the OL play continues to be as shoddy as it was last week. With both BahkT and Lang likely out, I don't need to see AR getting smacked a half dozen times with Barclay and Walker out there. Hopefully they are smart and put Bulaga at LT with AR in the game. Let Barclay and Walker get some reps at LT with Hundley and Blanchard at QB.

I suspect the coaches know what they have in Tolzien so it would be good to see more of Hundley and Blanchard. I don't know if I want AR out there if Barclay is at LT... :eek:

This is not starting off that well. That's why I don't make predictions, you never know who is going to get hurt, etc. Really sucks to lose Jordy. I am hopeful that Montgomery can contribute. I am not as hopeful about Janis. It seems like he is struggling to learn his routes and has dropped some passes. We need these guys to step up to have a chance and you can bet that defenses will challenge them.

I hope one of the back-up guys at tackle step up cuz it's not looking good. As several have suggested if they have to they would move Bulaga to the left and maybe insert Barclay there.

It feels like we are starting the season with things stacked against us...injuries and this year suspensions. If they get off to a slow start it could be a long year.

This is not starting off that well. That's why I don't make predictions, you never know who is going to get hurt, etc. Really sucks to lose Jordy. I am hopeful that Montgomery can contribute. I am not as hopeful about Janis. It seems like he is struggling to learn his routes and has dropped some passes. We need these guys to step up to have a chance and you can bet that defenses will challenge them.

I hope one of the back-up guys at tackle step up cuz it's not looking good. As several have suggested if they have to they would move Bulaga to the left and maybe insert Barclay there.

It feels like we are starting the season with things stacked against us...injuries and this year suspensions. If they get off to a slow start it could be a long year.

i have no doubt that Montgomery will contribute. I'm not sure i understand the angst about Janis. he tied for the most receptions in the steelers game and he had the only td reception in the patriots game. he dropped one pass in the steelers game. it was thrown slightly behind him but it was catchable. his second foot landed just out of bounds on a sideline pass that would have been a big gainer. jordy might have stayed inbounds on that, but not many others would.

i do share your concerns regarding the o-line. only two of the starters practiced today. not promising at all.

this team has a bad habit of starting slow. i expect it. it will likely be a long year, but i think we are still the favorites for the division title and we could do even better than that if we can keep some continuity in our starting lineup.

Janis vs Montgomery.

Just a few things to consider. Montgomery came from a true pro style offense. Ran multiple routes. More complete and more pro ready. Also if you watched both in week 1 and week 2 Montgomery was much smoother in and out of breaks.
Not a knock on Janis. He is what he is. He will contribute. It's who the staff trusts.

Back