McCarthy post-game press conference highlights

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - Here are some highlights from Packers coach Mike McCarthy's post-game press conference following the team's 38-28 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs Monday night at Lambeau Field:

- (on QB Aaron Rodgers being able to see so many things on the field, particularly the 12 men on the field) “His ability to really process information is as good as I’ve ever been around. I’ve been blessed to be around great quarterbacks. His ability to see not only what’s going on their sideline, watching their communication, their non-verbal communication, their verbal communication, picking up tendencies throughout the game, able to apply it to future plays and future situations is very unique. I think it speaks volumes to him in his preparation, knowledge, experience and, like I said, he’s playing at a great level.”
- (on the Cobb touchdown plays) “I think it’s like a lot of things in football. You know, it’s not just the play, it’s when you run it, and Aaron’s ability to get to that particular play or that concept or that adjustment at the right time is one of the biggest strengths of our offense. If you watch the way we operate, he uses the whole clock, gathers as much information as he can and just puts us in excellent plays and Randall was definitely the benefactor of that. With that, Randall also ran excellent routes and did a great job of bulldozing into the end zone on the one.”
- (on getting what he wanted out of Eddie Lacy tonight) “We really wanted to rotate Eddie and James (Starks), probably more James early, going into the game was my thought. We wanted to get Alonzo (Harris) started. We got him in there for a little bit. Yes, we have to be smart with Eddie.”
- (on the defensive pass rush) “I remember a number of players that played big time: Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels. The pressure from our front was what you’re looking for. We continue to fight, scratch, and claw running the football and stopping the run because things like the pass rush, our passing game, those are things we feel we do very well. It starts in the run game. We’re doing a much better job there. I think we ran the ball well, stopped the run good tonight, and it sets up our pass rushers to cut it loose.”
- (on LB Joe Thomas) “Joe Thomas did an excellent job. It looked like he never left. He had been a member of the dime package and that’s really why he’s here. He’s an excellent player in that particular package and I’m sure when we watch the tape, we’re going to be feeling pretty good about how he played on special teams. He’s a good young player.”
- (on his team’s fast start) “Well, 4-0 is the goal. That’s a fast start in the first quarter. That’s what we’re looking for. We’re on a short week. We’ve got a football team that’s coming off a hard loss. We’re going out to their place, a west coast trip, all those types of things. We’ve got to clean this game up and get on to the 49ers on Wednesday morning.”
- (on the keys to the fast start) “We’ve had some adversity, particularly with players getting injured. I thought we really started training camp fast. That was as fast as I can recall our training camp going as far as production that we had from our offense and defense. The communication, just the installation phase, was the best that I’ve seen. We went up to New England and played well and then we had the (Jordy Nelson) injury in Pittsburgh and we had to kind of shift gears. Really, that’s just a credit to the players because they’ve done a great job of getting comfortable being uncomfortable because the schedule has been kind of up and down, and back-to-back night games and things like that. We haven’t been on a normal seven-day schedule for quite some time. We really won’t get that accomplished until St. Louis. But, really, the players taking care of the little things and adjusting to the others things we’ve had to adjust to so far.”

Continue reading...

Back