McCarthy: Players and coaches feeling frustrated on offense

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of coach Mike McCarthy's Monday press conference:

- (On film) I would have hoped it would have been better. Biggest thing is not to over-react. We have good players, good schemes. Thing that bothered me is that when you're a fast starting team you play with a lot of energy. I wasn't too concerned because I thought their surge was expected. But I thought we didn't match it.
- (On coming from behind) You need those experiences to galvanize your team. This is what you need as a football team.
- (On being creative offensively) I think it represents frustration. The way we get players opportunities, the decision-making at the line of scrimmage, I think that's frustration for players and coaches. That's part of not having a good day. When you're at 50 plays two weeks in a row, scheme isn't the issue.
- (On scrambling plays) I've never relied on scrambling phase. It's the reaction between the offense and the defense. It's not the way we operate. It's a part of our passing game. Spend a lot of time on it. We're excellent at it. Our receivers are good at it.
- (On receivers getting open) I don't think... that's a blanket statement. Good defense, talented defense. They matched up well against us. They kept Aaron in the pocket and decrease the time clock of the play.
- (On defense playing empty sets) I don't think it factored in the Denver game. San Diego emptied and then brought the back back. Denver was more empty based on situation.
- (On pass rush) When the QB is throwing on time, I put the larget part of the struggles on defense on the running game. When the QB is throwing to his No. 1 read off his back foot, that tells you there's a play-action part of it. We need to stop the run.
- (On acquisitions) Player personnel department is on it. I'm aware of what's out there. I have nothing to report.
- (On Richard Rodgers) He's being asked to do a lot. I think that's something we have to look at it.

Continue reading...

Back