McCarthy: No timeline to hire defensive coordinator

When did he do this. He was fired with a top 10 D in San Fran when Harbaugh left. He now has a top 10 D in Chicago and is being considered for HC positions. His track record in the last 3 jobs is impressive. What have you done for me lately is the pertinent question and lately he's been damn good.

It's really not fair to say he was fired also. Most of those teams lost their HC, and new guys want to bring in their own coordinators. So it's more appropriate to say that he wasn't retained.

It's really not fair to say he was fired also. Most of those teams lost their HC, and new guys want to bring in their own coordinators. So it's more appropriate to say that he wasn't retained.

True. He wasn't fired from Stanford. Harbaugh brought him with tho San Fran. He wasn't really fired from San Fran either and he's still employed by Chicago until tomorrow anyway.

True. He wasn't fired from Stanford. Harbaugh brought him with tho San Fran. He wasn't really fired from San Fran either and he's still employed by Chicago until tomorrow anyway.

and if I'm not mistaken his stops in Houston and Carolina ended when Capers was fired as HC at both places. I'm not 100 percent, but I think it was the same scenario in Indy when Mora was fired.

So if anything he's a HC killer lol

He did a good job in Chicago, but if you look at the yardage, and scoring against his defense, his previous three stints as a DC show his teams gave up a lot during his last year on the job. They showed progression, almost like we saw from Capers. Personally, I'm not convinced he can turn our defense around, and keep it on point.

But, that's my opinion.

and if I'm not mistaken his stops in Houston and Carolina ended when Capers was fired as HC at both places. I'm not 100 percent, but I think it was the same scenario in Indy when Mora was fired.

So if anything he's a HC killer lol
Then hire him immediately!!! :D

What does it say about a coach whose defense is actually located in the lower 1/3 of the league when the team fires the head coach? Maybe nothing. Maybe it says that the defense could have saved their jobs.

Take a look at Jacksonville. They have "zero offense," but their defense can cut you off at the knees on a good day.

When we talk about guys having good teams, I always worry when they go from top 10 to lower 10, in one year. Something obviously is not going right.

I guess we all see things from a little different perspective, but I believe in coaches that develop sustainable programs on offense, defense, and/or as a team. The fact is, going from top 5 to 31st is not sustainable, it's a ship wreck.

Just my opinion.

What does it say about a coach whose defense is actually located in the lower 1/3 of the league when the team fires the head coach? Maybe nothing. Maybe it says that the defense could have saved their jobs.

Take a look at Jacksonville. They have "zero offense," but their defense can cut you off at the knees on a good day.

When we talk about guys having good teams, I always worry when they go from top 10 to lower 10, in one year. Something obviously is not going right.

I guess we all see things from a little different perspective, but I believe in coaches that develop sustainable programs on offense, defense, and/or as a team. The fact is, going from top 5 to 31st is not sustainable, it's a ship wreck.

Just my opinion.
I realize it's just an opinion but in Fangio's last 7 years as a DC he hasn't been in the bottom 10 defensively ever. He had a little drop off in rankings his last year in San Fran but was still top 10. He took Chicago from awful to top 10 in 3 years.

I realize it's just an opinion but in Fangio's last 7 years as a DC he hasn't been in the bottom 10 defensively ever. He had a little drop off in rankings his last year in San Fran but was still top 10. He took Chicago from awful to top 10 in 3 years.

I agree. He did a solid job in Chicago. Yet, it wasn't good enough to help them win games. If you check the points scored against his units over the years, and yardage, you find a tremendous drop off. That's the problems I saw developing with the Capers system too.

I just believe there are better guys out there who may not be a coordinator yet, who have some fresh, new, ideas they can bring to the table, and could turn our defense around, without wholesale releases of players. I'm just not confident Fangio can do that. Of course, I'm not confident anyone can do it, considering the circumstances as to where the Packers stand today. I honestly believe, no matter who they bring in, they're going to need to dip in free agency, and draft heavily on defense. I don't envy anyone the job.

I don't really care who we get, but that guy should be gone in 3-5 years no matter which way you slice it.

He'll either come in and do well and get offered a better job (whether that's the DC or position coaches), or he'll come in and do well, and then level or even drop off and that's when we should look for someone else.

Of course, the alternative is that he comes in and does awful (but then I think MM is on the way out, too).

but, as i was told repeatedly in the shout! the other day, not retaining somebody is the same thing as firing them.

Back