McCarthy: Jones picking up where he left off

Janis was out there for the victory formation. Packers went 4 wide once and Montgomery got the nod there. Don't think it's personal either way, James Jones proved he has chemistry with AR right now and they'll ride that as long as they can. Doesn't look like they're going to do a ton of 4-5 wide so reps are going to be limited on O for both the young guys.

Based on how SEA played last week that may be smarter than trying to run inside too much.

Janis was out there for the victory formation. Packers went 4 wide once and Montgomery got the nod there. Don't think it's personal either way, James Jones proved he has chemistry with AR right now and they'll ride that as long as they can. Doesn't look like they're going to do a ton of 4-5 wide so reps are going to be limited on O for both the young guys.

Makes me think Janis might not make it back next year, or even this year if more injuries happen. Instead of finding a way to improve chemistry and find a way to get Janis game ready they put him on the back burner again and brought in Jones. Short term, move makes sense. Long term, there is NO substitute for regular season game play. You can practice all you want, but until you get a decent amount of game day reps only goes so far. Especially with gaining trust. I dunno to me it seems like the easy way out, but I guess if Arod and MM don't want to spend extra time working on this stuff with the young guys Jones is an understandable choice. If Janis isn't showing enough improvement there are only so many minutes in the day.

But I think it's a bad sign for Janis. Starting second season and still doesn't have a level of trust with Arod. This is also important for Monty. As the #4 guy now he needs to show he's got potential.

To be fair, Janis was a gunner on ST so it's not like they don't have a role for him. He was a project coming in and remains so. Let's see how the season goes this year, but regardless next year would seem to be make or break for him.

At this point he is at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole but he earned a roster spot. A lot in flux on this team so it's impossible to say... lot's of FB left to be played.

I keep coming back to Donald Driver. Another late round pick who was more track athlete than WR. It took him 3 years to break out and become a key part of the offense. Janis is a work in progress. I think he gets this year, and another off-season to show what he can do. Knowing TT there will be another WR picked in the draft next spring so Janis will need to improve to earn his spot next fall.

Great point 57packer. Driver did start out slow and only had 37 receptions in his first three years before breaking out in year 4.

Great point 57packer. Driver did start out slow and only had 37 receptions in his first three years before breaking out in year 4.

Makes you think what potential we gave up in White then as well... Guess GB figured Janis had more potential.

Except that White was already in year 3 and came in somewhat more advanced in terms of his collegiate experience. I don't know that there is a whole lot more that White was going to show you that you haven't already seen. I'd have been fine with keeping him, but it's clear the coaches were not comfortable with any of the trio of Montgomery, Janis or White being the regular #3 guy, hence the Jones signing. The Packers play with 3xWR so much that is essentially their base offense and the #3 guy is a starter.

I think the position Janis will be in next year is the same one White was in this year. He really has to stand out somewhat and earn a roster spot, but I agree they kept Janis based more on potential (and Montgomery because he was a higher draft pick and more important on special teams). If the potential doesn't come through as production next camp then I suspect a rookie will grab his roster spot.

Back