Matt Forte to Packers

he basically gave CHi the same production as Lacy gave GB on the ground.. MM isn't all of a sudden gonna start calling lots of pass plays to the RB.... Plus he's going into his ninth season. He's primed to go off the cliff soon....

I'd rather take a young RB in the draft.

Reactions: ski
I'm assuming Lacy is serious and will come into camp in good shape. So I say stick with Lacy & Starks or a draft pick. Forte has talent but a lot of miles and will want to get paid. Pass on Forte

I'm not ready to move past Lacy that fast. I don't think RB is a high priority in FA for us. I agree with the posters saying New England, or Seattle.

Let's hope he leaves the NFC if we don't sign him. I doubt we will.

He wants a shot at a ring. He won't go to MN they have AP and Lions are a mess.

The other thing with Forte is that he'd be a free agent, counting against the compensatory picks. If the team is going to spend money on free agents, I'd rather have them spend on a cap casualty, like they did with Peppers and Woodson, and at either TE or ILB, not RB.

One guy I figure would be worth a really hard look is Jordan Cameron, who had a big final year under our new TE coach in Cleveland and might get cut by the Dolphins. And he's young, only in his fifth year I think, but he's had some concussions. Or other possible cut TEs like Dennis Pitta and Forte's old teammate Martellus Bennett.

I'll advocate just a little for Forte.

First, I thought he was cut by the Bears, but that was wrong. I would agree that as an UFA he would be less of a target.

I'm sure the team is hoping Lacy will come back in better shape, but other than it being a contract year and hoping he listened, what makes anyone think he'll be more diligent this year. He's showed up out of shape each year, but each year has been worse. Is he now suddenly going to get it done because he's been called out. I say, send a message. Forte is a message, but if you prefer, draft one early. Either way, I don't want to depend on Lacy's commitment because to date, there hasn't been one.

As for Cobb and Monty, I kind of disagree Salmar. They are not filling the receiving RB role. They fill a niche role in a gimmick personnel grouping. Not necessarily a bad gimmick, but still a gimmick. With MM wanting to play up-tempo, when Cobb or Monty are in the game without a RB you really don't have a running game for the whole series. You can do that a couple of series a game but it's a gimmick since you aren't actually gonna run those guys between the tackles more than once or twice.

Forte isn't just a motionless target sort of guy. A creative coach could find ways to use him that might partly mitigate the lack of a TE. In a 2-back alignment with a FB you can run power, you can put Forte in motion or in the slot like a TE and isolate him on a LB or force a S into the box. You can't do anything like that with Lacy or Starks - they don't have the skills.

He'll probably be too pricey and TT doesn't usually look at UFA's to much, but this is exactly the sort of veteran signing that teams like the Pats and Broncos make to add to their teams. Yah, there is a little risk, but I still would not be opposed.

He wants a shot at a ring. He won't go to MN they have AP and Lions are a mess.

I wasn't just thinking of the NFCN. Would Forte play second fiddle to Lacy? And would we even offer him enough to entice him in the first place? sh))

Back