Mark Murphy and GM Brian Gutekunst have taken a hands-off approach as Matt LaFleur builds his coaching staff

What about Rizzi? I thought that’s who Lafleur wanted but was told he’s too expensive. Could just be a rumor mill, I guess. I hope they get somebody good for that role. Special Teams have been ridiculously bad.

Had nothing to do with cost that was a BS rumor one of the reporters was speculating about. He wanted the added title of associate head coach that he has in Miami and that wasn't in the cards. As an added it was some press guys that pushed Rizzi .... pure speculation on who ML wants etc.

Tom Silverstein of the MJS was hot to trot on Rizzi. I've said it before and I'll say it again, 99.9% of fans had no idea who Rizzi was until Tom said he was the best one out there, and the same group of people then freaked when GB didn't hire him.

IMO right now it's as likely as not that ML wants to at least talk to a coach or two on the Rams before making a final decision on ST and WR coaches.

Had nothing to do with cost that was a BS rumor one of the reporters was speculating about. He wanted the added title of associate head coach that he has in Miami and that wasn't in the cards. As an added it was some press guys that pushed Rizzi .... pure speculation on who ML wants etc.
Thanks, Mark. I'm very glad to hear that. I was afraid Murphy was putting his fingers in everything.

I hope they get a good one for ST. McCarthy just never seemed to care much about it and I never understood that. You would think he would have really gone after it since ST play burned the Packers so many times. Instead, he seemed to always go after the easy, lazy hires...like Zook.

Thanks, Mark. I'm very glad to hear that. I was afraid Murphy was putting his fingers in everything.

I hope they get a good one for ST. McCarthy just never seemed to care much about it and I never understood that. You would think he would have really gone after it since ST play burned the Packers so many times. Instead, he seemed to always go after the easy, lazy hires...like Zook.

Zook is a lousy coach, don't get me wrong, but it came down to more than the ST coach with MM. How many ST coaches did MM go through, 3? Always the scapegoat but the fact is, MM and TT did not value ST. In terms of building the roster, devoting practice time, players used etc., he just didn't value it. MM would say it himself, every year - on the field you get what you emphasize in practice. Well proof was in the pudding when it came to ST. Now ML and Gute will have to change all of that.

Yes the ST coach will be an important hire, but less important than the time, energy, financial capital, draft capital and accountability devoted to improvement there.

Zook is a lousy coach, don't get me wrong, but it came down to more than the ST coach with MM. How many ST coaches did MM go through, 3? Always the scapegoat but the fact is, MM and TT did not value ST. In terms of building the roster, devoting practice time, players used etc., he just didn't value it. MM would say it himself, every year - on the field you get what you emphasize in practice. Well proof was in the pudding when it came to ST. Now ML and Gute will have to change all of that.

Yes the ST coach will be an important hire, but less important than the time, energy, financial capital, draft capital and accountability devoted to improvement there.

Excellent summation.

Back