Lose for draft choice?

I hate to say this because I don't like the idea of people losing jobs. However, I think the worse the record the more chance Ted retires or is asked to step down before they lose yet another young up and coming GM, Eliot Wolf. We've already watched McKenzie, Dorsey, and Schneider turn their respective moribund franchises into powerhouses. I would really like to see someone else at the helm. Funny thing is, the three Ted disciples just mentioned all use FA as well as the draft to build their teams. They must have all disagreed with Ted's modus operandi as much as many of us do!

He did? I don't remember that. I remember Deion Sanders saying that...but not Aikman. Am I wrong?...again?! wideeye))

I don't know if he ever specifically said he would never play in GB.... He did say he would prefer a warmer climate and he loved the Cowboys. But I'm not sure he ever went as far as to say he 'd refuse.

He did? I don't remember that. I remember Deion Sanders saying that...but not Aikman. Am I wrong?...again?! wideeye))

that's not what i remember either. so i looked it up.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-12-08/sports/sp-1601_1_green-bay

Although UCLA quarterback Troy Aikman has indicated he would prefer to start his professional career at a warm-weather city, Green Bay Packer officials said Wednesday they will select him if they get the first pick in next spring's National Football League draft.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," said Tom Braatz, Packers vice president of Aikman's desire to play in a warmer climate.
"We've had a lot of conversation about this, but we have not had an opportunity to talk to Troy Aikman because he is preparing to play in the Cotton Bowl and just finishing his college career.
"The only thing he has said so far is that he would prefer playing in a warm-weather town. He has not said he would not play in Green Bay."

The Packers also are interested in Michigan State tackle Tony Mandarich but Aikman is their first choice.

I hate to say this because I don't like the idea of people losing jobs. However, I think the worse the record the more chance Ted retires or is asked to step down before they lose yet another young up and coming GM, Eliot Wolf. We've already watched McKenzie, Dorsey, and Schneider turn their respective moribund franchises into powerhouses. I would really like to see someone else at the helm. Funny thing is, the three Ted disciples just mentioned all use FA as well as the draft to build their teams. They must have all disagreed with Ted's modus operandi as much as many of us do!

It'A also organization philosophy. Seattle and Oakland tend to be more aggressive and that comes from the top....ownership. GB tends to be very conservative. It's one reason I'm not convinced Wolf, if he is the choice changes much if anything at all

Murphy always swears that Ted has the teams' support to sign whatever FA's he wants. When Ron Wolf went after all those free agents the Packers backed him up. I think it's all Ted. Just my take.

Back