Kizer dreaming big again

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Kizer dreaming big again

This time Kizer does so armed with concepts he learned from Packers head coach Mike McCarthy in OTAs and from longtime Green Bay star QB Aaron Rodgers, the latter of whom was given a pass to skip minicamp but chose to show up anyway to tutor Kizer and the man the second-year pro will vie with for the backup quarterback job in the coming months, former fifth-rounder Brett Hundley from UCLA.

Kizer might be an okay backup...maybe but not a guy I want starting 16 games for me. Your dealing with lifetime spread guys who only know the gun and the same concepts. Granted I think Kizer has more upside then Hindley ever will but on the flipside his ceiling isn't that much higher.

Just read that article earlier. Glad to see AR helping the young guy out. Hopefully MMs QB school has helped him with the necessary footwork. It also sounds like MMs QB school works on throwing motion to. All in all, hopefully Kizer can be an upgrade to Hundley but who knows, maybe this is the year Hundley takes a big developmental step.

Just read that article earlier. Glad to see AR helping the young guy out. Hopefully MMs QB school has helped him with the necessary footwork. It also sounds like MMs QB school works on throwing motion to. All in all, hopefully Kizer can be an upgrade to Hundley but who knows, maybe this is the year Hundley takes a big developmental step.

It's a shame coaches can't get more time with young QBs in the off-season. I know it's a CBA issue and they can't nitpick who is allowed to practice more than others, but considering the importance of the QB role and the amount of development involved and the negative impact on the game when QB play is poor, I think the league and NFLPA should come together soon and carve out some extra time for QB's with, say, fewer than 3 years of experience to work at the facilities with coaches on drill work. They're mostly doing it anyway with personal trainers in their home states/towns, it's kind of absurd they can't do it directly with coaches who know what they want and how they want it done.

It's a shame coaches can't get more time with young QBs in the off-season. I know it's a CBA issue and they can't nitpick who is allowed to practice more than others, but considering the importance of the QB role and the amount of development involved and the negative impact on the game when QB play is poor, I think the league and NFLPA should come together soon and carve out some extra time for QB's with, say, fewer than 3 years of experience to work at the facilities with coaches on drill work. They're mostly doing it anyway with personal trainers in their home states/towns, it's kind of absurd they can't do it directly with coaches who know what they want and how they want it done.

Do the individual trainers have a relationship with MM and staff so they know what needs to be worked on or is that against the CBA?

I think it's way beyond a CBA issue. These are guys that have in most cases never taken a snap under center. Don't understand 5 and 7 step drop. They can only understand one kind of tree and the coverage that tree brings. In most cases it will take in my opinion 3 full seasons to convert that kid and even then it's a crap shoot.

The QB issue goes all the way back to HS FB and the spread. Good news is that it's starting to fade in parts of the country. Here in the SE a conversation back to the Wing T and triple option looks are in process. I expect that trend to trickle into the NCAA soon.FCC(

I hope you are right, Bud. My concern is Hundley has a big accuracy problem over 10 yards. He is also a tuck and run QB. Accuracy is tough to coach up. After 3 years I am not sure Hundley will ever come around but here's hopin. :)

Unless Kizer is horrible in TC I think they are going to go with him as the backup. You don't trade Randall just to cut this guy at the end of camp. Hundley at this point I question if he would even get signed by another team if cut at end of camp. He might be a guy who will need to go to CFL or join the new AAF or XFL league if he wants to keep playing

Unless Kizer is horrible in TC I think they are going to go with him as the backup. You don't trade Randall just to cut this guy at the end of camp. Hundley at this point I question if he would even get signed by another team if cut at end of camp. He might be a guy who will need to go to CFL or join the new AAF or XFL league if he wants to keep playing
Yup. You especially don't cut a guy you traded a former first round pick for.

Hundley was awful at UCLA and Kizer had issues at ND. Neither has a ceiling above average backup

Back