Kickoff Changes

I think kickoff you will see moved to maybe a punt to start the game that way you won't total upset people who want a kickoff in some way to start the game. If you want a onside kick then I could see that being like a 4th and 10 or 4th and 15 play with offense on the field at your own 35.

"Until the ball is touched or hits the ground No player on the receiving team may cross its restraining line"

so the kicker can pooch kickoff into the air and have an untouched guy catch it ten yards down field?

hopefully we practice that quite a bit in tc.

I think what you will see is a lot more kickers kicking short forcing returns meaning you will have increased chance for injury. The NFL claims they worked with ST coaches for these rules. IMO these rules will not do anything to improve player safety.

Well NFL with trying to make the on-side kick different has passed a 1 year rule in which the receiving team will only be allowed 9 players withing 25 yeards of the ball thinking that taking away 2 players will give the kicking team a better chance to get it. Really will this matter?NFL had changed it that you could not have a bunch of guys on one side of the field anyways and you take out the kicker the kicking team will only have 10 guys going after the ball compared to the 9 on the receiving team. I don't think this changes the chances much at all of a recovery for the kicking team.

Also the reply booth can now talk to the refs more on a reply that is not a coaches challenge though they say reply refs have been doing this for years anyways with informal advice.

Seems they passed a bunch of useless rules just for the sake of passing a rule.

Back