Johnny Davis in the NBA

TW

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone watched the game between the Bucks and Washington last night, but Johnny Davis looked even better in the NBA than he did in college, because they harnessed his real game. It tells me there was more there in college that wasn't explored. Was it coaching, or Davis who caused it? I have my opinion on it.

I don't know if anyone watched the game between the Bucks and Washington last night, but Johnny Davis looked even better in the NBA than he did in college, because they harnessed his real game. It tells me there was more there in college that wasn't explored. Was it coaching, or Davis who caused it? I have my opinion on it.
Davis actually has been struggling really bad in the NBA. He was so bad he was sent down to the G league to work on his shooting. Just got called back up a week or two ago.

Yes, Davis had a rough NBA start. But, the NBA is a completely different game than WI Basketball. It is comparing American Apples to some fruit on Jupiter. Everything is different.

Nobody ever left a Bennet or Bo ciached team and immediately excelled in the NBA, and nobody will ever leave a Gard coached team and immediately excel in the NBA.

Granted, Davis has struggled, and has spent time in the G-League. A lot of first year players do. But, when given a chance to play his game, he stepped up last night and had a darned good night, and a lot of the time he had Holiday on him playing defense.

He has rough edges, but the game we saw last night was so contrary to what we saw from him in most of his Badger career, because of the restrictions placed on players and their perceived roles on the court.

It's time that Gard dump this mentality that you plan by keeping teams under 60 every time.

Granted, Davis has struggled, and has spent time in the G-League. A lot of first year players do. But, when given a chance to play his game, he stepped up last night and had a darned good night, and a lot of the time he had Holiday on him playing defense.

He has rough edges, but the game we saw last night was so contrary to what we saw from him in most of his Badger career, because of the restrictions placed on players and their perceived roles on the court.

It's time that Gard dump this mentality that you plan by keeping teams under 60 every time.
Well Gard ain't gonna change. And, now he has Wahl back. Same old.

Gard learned under the Bo tree. Defense defense defense. Rather play a 63-60 game every time then try to win 88-84.

Reactions: TW
Johnny Davis may have been held back some by Gard and Wisconsin, but exactly how has it affected him? Davis was a 3-star recruit whose best offer was arguably Wisconsin. He wasn't a top-150 player. Nobody predicted he'd be an NBA player, much less a top-10 NBA draft pick. Yet within 2 years at Wisconsin he was exactly that.

Gard actually allowed him to do things last year that he didn't allow most of the time. Davis was free to shoot the 3, even though he wasn't a particularly good shooter, and he was often isolated and allowed to create his own offense. That said, the Wisconsin offense did likely hamper him in terms of adjusting to the more wide-open style played in the NBA.

Gard and Wisconsin are hardly alone. The more talented 2021-22 Badgers averaged 70 points per game. Not fast at all. The 2022-23 SDSU Aztecs averaged 71 points per game. Now, maybe SDSU ran around more, but it certainly wasn't effective at getting them points and everyone would agree they had a highly successful season. Fast pace and scoring doesn't guarantee success, ask Marquette about that. I admit it is more fun to watch though.

I think Gard will allow a little more tempo if he has the horses, but I would agree it's just not in his nature just like it wasn't for Bo Ryan whose highly talented 2013-14 and 2014-15 final-four teams still only averaged 73 pts game. Pace and style may cost Gard his job, but I still maintain it's his crappy recruiting strategy rather than on court coaching strategy that'll be his downfall.

Johnny Davis may have been held back some by Gard and Wisconsin, but exactly how has it affected him? Davis was a 3-star recruit whose best offer was arguably Wisconsin. He wasn't a top-150 player. Nobody predicted he'd be an NBA player, much less a top-10 NBA draft pick. Yet within 2 years at Wisconsin he was exactly that.

Gard actually allowed him to do things last year that he didn't allow most of the time. Davis was free to shoot the 3, even though he wasn't a particularly good shooter, and he was often isolated and allowed to create his own offense. That said, the Wisconsin offense did likely hamper him in terms of adjusting to the more wide-open style played in the NBA.

Gard and Wisconsin are hardly alone. The more talented 2021-22 Badgers averaged 70 points per game. Not fast at all. The 2022-23 SDSU Aztecs averaged 71 points per game. Now, maybe SDSU ran around more, but it certainly wasn't effective at getting them points and everyone would agree they had a highly successful season. Fast pace and scoring doesn't guarantee success, ask Marquette about that. I admit it is more fun to watch though.

I think Gard will allow a little more tempo if he has the horses, but I would agree it's just not in his nature just like it wasn't for Bo Ryan whose highly talented 2013-14 and 2014-15 final-four teams still only averaged 73 pts game. Pace and style may cost Gard his job, but I still maintain it's his crappy recruiting strategy rather than on court coaching strategy that'll be his downfall.
I agree with most of what you're saying.

And, I do agree that running around fast doesn't equate to success. However, I think that's what the kids want. We're a highlight real nation - even more so with the kids. Nose to the grindstone is not in favor. While WI's basketball strategy is more strategic and planned and can be successful, it simply is not what the better players want to do and puts us at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail.

It's the perception that WI is slow and stodgy. I don't think our coaches and recruiters show recruits how it really isn't and doesn't have to be if they run it right.

I agree with most of what you're saying.

And, I do agree that running around fast doesn't equate to success. However, I think that's what the kids want. We're a highlight real nation - even more so with the kids. Nose to the grindstone is not in favor. While WI's basketball strategy is more strategic and planned and can be successful, it simply is not what the better players want to do and puts us at a disadvantage on the recruiting trail.

It's the perception that WI is slow and stodgy. I don't think our coaches and recruiters show recruits how it really isn't and doesn't have to be if they run it right.
Interesting perspectives. The perceptions from potential recruits has to be that they are extremely conservative, and don't allow for personal creativity on the floor. It's talked about all the time. The team effort, the extra pass, use the shot clock.

Recruits do like the idea of putting the basketball in the hoop, using their skills. They aren't nearly into being told how darned good they are on defense. Most of them would say that you're only saying that because you think they suck on offense.

Perceptions are a big part of who you get to sign with you. I think we got Essegian, because they told him they visualized his role with the Badgers as being a lot like Johnny Davis.

Greg Gard also at times seems to be like PC and shows little life when on the court. Do guys want to play under a guy who's a wet blanket?

Reactions: TW
Back