Jeff Janis

Janis could wind up #4 and I wouldn't be shocked. He could also be on the final cut list and I wouldn't be shocked either. As of right now I'm not enamored with any WR after Adams. Some intriguing prospects yes but as of right now they're all strait potential no production. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Janis may run real good routes in the tightly controlled setting of practice. But until we see him with pads on against DB's who aren't playing with the same script it's hard to tell. Hopefully he does turn it on....

... With that kind of size and speed, he might also be a good candidate for returning. ...

this is another thing that i find perplexing about last season. in preseason, they gave janis only a few chances to return the ball. on his three punt returns he averaged almost 9 yards per return. on his one and only kick return he ran the ball back 62 yards. and yet, mm says he could not figure out a way to use janis on special teams. cra) it seems to me that we might have had much better field position if we had used janis instead of dujuan harris to return kicks.

Janis may run real good routes in the tightly controlled setting of practice. But until we see him with pads on against DB's who aren't playing with the same script it's hard to tell. Hopefully he does turn it on....

i feel like a janis cheerleader. last preseason, they gave him very few opportunities. but when he got a chance he made the most of it. against the rams he caught a little ten yard pass in the flat and turned it into a 34 yard touchdown. then two weeks later he caught a deep pass from tolzein for a 33 yard touchdown. during the season they put him in the game against the vikings and he was targeted twice and caught both passes for 16 yards.

it seems like every time he has been given a chance, be it on special teams or as a receiver, jeff janis has produced. normally, that kind of result would bring about more opportunities. but for some reason that hasn't been the case with the packers.

Last edited:
To answer your question realitybytes it was AR that stated Janis wasn't playing because he wasn't running the right routes etc. You can't risk him blowing a game because he doesn't know the playbook fully etc. It sounds like a broken record but he was a very raw D2 player who wasn't close to ready last season.sb(tc(

The YouTube footage shows some great deep over the shoulder catches. He gets open with his speed and he can catch with his hands just fine, but he didn't show much reach for anything. In the NFL it takes speed and quickness to get open, but ideally, that can't get lost due to the catch process. The YAC yards won't happen if he can't continue through the catch. IF McCarthy is not just blowing sunshine up our butt, then it sounds like Janis should progress contributing this year. Would love to see him in on the 5 wide packages.

EDIT >>> Also noticed he uses his body to catch the ball not his hands at times. That would be a problem and why they sat him last year.

Last edited:
Back