Jeff Janis in position to maintain kickoff return job against Lions

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/359018111.html

Jeff Janis in position to maintain kickoff return job against Lions
Green Bay — In less than two full games as the No. 1 kickoff returner for the Green Bay Packers, wide receiver Jeff Janis has ripped off two returns of 60-plus yards.

He bolted up the right sideline in Minnesota last week, shocking the Vikings with 4.42-second speed that, according to teammate Damarious Randall, is actually in the high 4.3-second range. Janis was finally tackled 70 yards downfield.

Four days later, on a rain-slicked track at Lambeau Field, Janis burst through the middle for a 64-yard return. He broke free toward the left sideline and remained in bounds to fight for every inch.

With two big returns under his belt on just four attempts, Janis impressed the coaching staff enough to earn what appears to be another opportunity this week...

wow. really? why would this even be in question? the real question is why did it take mccarthy so long to figure this out? fortunately everyone else got hurt or mccarthy probably never would have considered giving janis a shot at kickoff returns.

Hyde is tied for the Packers all time record in punt return TDs. He's been sure handed and reliable back there on punts so he's certainly not worthless. I like Janis much better on KOs because of his speed and the way he's been running with reckless abandon. He wants to make an impact and probably should have been given a chance before Hyde. Reminds me of 2007 when MM insisted on giving a washed up Koren Robinson KO duties rather than letting a hungry blazing fast young DB named Tramon Williams do it. But we know MM has his favorites.

I lean towards letting Montgomery be the PR once he comes back.

It sounds like Janis is gaining more confidence. Hopefully that will translate to his offensive opportunities.

Why? Janis has done more in his limited opportunities than Montgomery did and I wouldn't want to risk injury to him again.
Janis is a KR not a PR. MOntgomery would be better as the PR then Hyde or Cobb.

Back