Jeff Janis' departure leaves void on Packers' special teams

Hey maybe ol' Jimmie Robinson could've gotten something more out of him as a WR, but the combination of Edgar Bennett, Luke Getsy and NO ONE sure couldn't.

He was a late round size/speed pick who never fit what MM does with WR or what AR demands out of them, but that's why he went in the 7th and not the 2nd. As it turns out he found a niche as a fine ST player, kept himself on the roster that way and now has found continued NFL employment that way. He beat the odds, and congrats to him.

Not enough of details guy to know, so just wondering why it's better to have D guys on ST than WR.
In theory: the defensive guys are already practiced and trained to tackle. They do it every single day, it's their job. I know you get TEs on special teams because of size/speed ratios, Janis also excelled at the size/speed thing, but you'd rather have LBs and DBs because they are trained, professional tacklers. (maybe not ours if you watch the games?!?!) I would think you'd rather have a WR be professional at catching the ball and avoiding tacklers. If you go down that road far enough- maybe that gunner postition held Janis back? When you run a 3-4 defense you should have a plethora of size/speed guys to cover special teams, shouldn't you?

there's this general feeling floating around in some circles that jeff just isn't smart enough to learn the packers offense. the guy scored a 30 on the wonderlic.
I don't think IQ or wonderlic scores directly relate to 'football smarts'. Whatever sport it is, there are kids who can PROCESS what is happening right now. Not all smart athletic kids succeed because they don't process things fast enough. Too much thinking before action.
Like a new computer with a tiny processor. The computer isn't dumb and it's brand new, but that processor just doesn't work well in a hurry.
Example in the NFL: Nick Perry and TJ Watt. Perry is bigger and stronger, but you watch him and he's not much of a playmaker. Does his job, works hard. TJ has less physical gifts, but seems to process what is going on out there faster and makes plays. I'm basing this more on what TJ did in college, how he could react instantly to each nuance during a play. TJ is a playmaker. CWood is a great example also, he could see AND process things faster than almost anyone on the field. Playmaker.

Like a new computer with a tiny processor. The computer isn't dumb and it's brand new, but that processor just doesn't work well in a hurry.

the wonderlic is a timed test. and a score of 30 is difficult to get even if you have a quick mind. impossible if you are slow.

the wonderlic is a timed test. and a score of 30 is difficult to get even if you have a quick mind. impossible if you are slow.
True, but it's not a football test. It's more of an IQ test. You can find it online. A high score doesn't mean you can process a football play. Otherwise you would always draft the smartest players. Instead you see instinctive instead of intelligent.

I've often wondered how Janis would do if the OC schemed some plays that play to Janis' strengths. I would not be a bit surprised if he does better with the Browns. With his speed it's too bad that they couldn't have gotten some plays that Rodgers would have worked with him on.

Maybe he won't do anything in Cleveland but I will always have a soft spot for him and wish him well.

It's all about system. If your skill set matches a system, you can do well. If it doesn't, you probably won't. I say probably, because some players can overcome the situation.

In Green Bay, precise routes are essential because Rodgers throws the ball to a place where a receiver should be, more than he does to a guy who "might be" open. It's the precise routes that have kept the number of INTs down over the years. Rodgers learned to rely on his receivers early in his career, and it's paid dividends for the team and him.

What boggles my mind is the fact that McC seems to believe the chemistry between QB and receivers is what "he makes it," not what the players make. In reality, no matter what he thinks it should be, there are more than enough plays that go "off the book," and determine the true value of the passing game, and the guys who make it work.

When I coached, I believed that over 1/3 of the passes completed were due to improvisation on the part of the QB and receivers, because the plays were busted by the defense. If you throw them out of the equation, the passing game is a mere shell of what it has to be to be successful. I fear we may see that chemistry lost with the Packers this year, because of the lack of understanding on the part of McC, who believes it's all what he does.

Janis was a square peg in a round hole only because McC never bothered to explore the real value Janis offered, with his skill set. He would have offered a good option across the middle on crossing routes - as an example - because he could take hits.

Gutey and MM turning over the roster from TTs guys to there own. Janis was a lighting rod for discussion in the shout during gametime. Always some colorful commentary surround his ability.

Back