It IS Jordan Love Time !!

I believe Love is going to cause a lot of pencil sharpening over the off season.

It's a tough question. Can we find a way to keep Love and the rest of the kids?

i brought this up in shout yesterday and got squashed. it truly is a legit question. tie up $50 million a year in the qb, and we are right back where we were in terms of being able to afford the supporting cast that we need to be successful. the good news is that we have at least a three year window with so many of those other players still on their rookie deals.
RB, I have been thinking along the same lines since before Thanksgiving. Of course, then it was how are we going to pay this guy $20M. Now, it's how do we afford him? And, if we pay him, how do we pay everybody else?

RB, I have been thinking along the same lines since before Thanksgiving. Of course, then it was how are we going to pay this guy $20M. Now, it's how do we afford him? And, if we pay him, how do we pay everybody else?
We have seen were there is a will there is a way to fudge the cap. GB did it for years and got them into cap hell. Question is will they do that again?

The issue at hand is that the cap exists so you can’t sign everyone. That’s the point, it keeps parity. So the question is after you extend Love which has to happen with a poor QB pool and not a lot of great QBs coming out of college, who can you afford to let go if you have to. Trying to sign everyone is an exercise in futility and leads to the cap hell people have mentioned.

It’s legit question. But ImO you have to pay the QB and then everything else comes after. Especially after what they’ve invested in him over past three years.

The issue at hand is that the cap exists so you can’t sign everyone. That’s the point, it keeps parity. So the question is after you extend Love which has to happen with a poor QB pool and not a lot of great QBs coming out of college, who can you afford to let go if you have to. Trying to sign everyone is an exercise in futility and leads to the cap hell people have mentioned.

It’s legit question. But ImO you have to pay the QB and then everything else comes after. Especially after what they’ve invested in him over past three years.
Sucks to be us

Is this a serious question? GB did what other franchises are desperate to do and people want to let it walk out the door over money? Am I reading this conversation right?

i brought this up in shout yesterday and got squashed. it truly is a legit question. tie up $50 million a year in the qb, and we are right back where we were in terms of being able to afford the supporting cast that we need to be successful. the good news is that we have at least a three year window with so many of those other players still on their rookie deals.
That's the price of a starting caliber QB that gets you in the playoffs, the only alternative is pay a half assed QB and try to build a all defensive team etc. Rarely works. Just my opinion, pay the man and move forward.

I believe Love is going to cause a lot of pencil sharpening over the off season.

It's a tough question. Can we find a way to keep Love and the rest of the kids?
Most of those kids are on rookie deals for the next 2-3 years, so yes not only can you afford it, the timing couldn't be better. If you front load it their contracts come due when his cap numbers falls off. It's kind of genius by the front office from a money stand point.

Most of those kids are on rookie deals for the next 2-3 years, so yes not only can you afford it, the timing couldn't be better. If you front load it their contracts come due when his cap numbers falls off. It's kind of genius by the front office from a money stand point.
Yeah, I think it's fallen into place nicely with those rookie contracts. It'll be fun to watch how it all comes together for a run.

Yup, you have a 3-4 year window of guys on rookie deals and the first year of their second contracts which is the cheap year. After that you have some tough decisions to make. You have to resist too many pricey contracts but at some point you need to go a little "all in" with a couple of free agents. To make it work you need to keep drafting almost like you're rebuilding. Don't waste too many picks by trading up to fill a particular hole. You need to keep drafting in quantity so you can keep re-stocking the roster with value priced players.

Back