Is Rodgers Responsible for Team Woes?

Oh boy you guys really wanted me to let go so here it is 6 months worth of staying somewhat quiet and upbeat out the window. Let me preface all of this post by saying I've been around the game a long time played it..coached it and had the opportunity to learn from some HOF people at 3 levels in 4 states.

With that said this about NFL football, where players are paid/employed to play this game. Aaron Rodgers is an outstanding football player and will be in my book one of the top 3 QB in Packers history. (Starr and Favre the others) He IS the face of the franchise and the highest paid QB in the league.

When your that guy Oak then you take the good with the bad. It may seem harsh to you and RB and a few others but that's how it works.. Regardless if there are other factors at play part of that role and part of being a $ man is to take the hit for the team when the chips are down.

Here's another piece and again I am sorry if it's harsh but part of the problem from a perspective stand point is threads like this and all the articles trying to coddle the man... he's just a man. Stop putting these players on a pedestal. GB fans are especially bad about seeing their players through ggg( and need to start looking at them as stated above .. well paid employees doing a job for their employer the Green bay Packers.

Rodgers hasn't been right in 2 plus yrs. Why ? Not 100% sure.(Injuries are a big factor) The Packers waited 3 yrs too long to fire TT and 2 yrs too long to fire MM and staff. Is that on Rodgers ? Nope, but when your in a leadership role then you get the poo. QB...CEO or manager it's part of the deal.

Last thing and it's a bit off topic but it's time for me to say this. This IS a Wisconsin Sports forum. Everyone has an opinion. Most of those opinions stink to the next guy. If that fact bugs you.... well I'll be blunt I can't help you overcome it.

Dang it Oak..... good topic :D;)br)

Capers also needed veterans to make his complicated defense work the way he wanted it. That's why Peppers and Woodson were such a great fit. Problem was Ted rarely traveled to UFA Island.
Capers needed to adapt his defense to the talent pool he had, but never did.
A different DC would have made those necessary changes.
Pettine claims to be that kind of DC...........not sure I'm on board with that 100%, but he has utilized people in ways that Capers never would have.

As a former DC and defensive player I think your oversimplifying Capers issues. MM was hell bent to play that Steelers 34. We don't know that Dom didn't go to him and try to adjust. As for Pettine.... not a fan. His scheme is only slightly better and he still has made a boatload of coverage mistakes some at very bad moments.

I would prefer as stated for ys here to move on from the whole 34 concept. Just me on that one.

Capers also needed veterans to make his complicated defense work the way he wanted it. That's why Peppers and Woodson were such a great fit. Problem was Ted rarely traveled to UFA Island.
Capers needed to adapt his defense to the talent pool he had, but never did.
A different DC would have made those necessary changes.
Pettine claims to be that kind of DC...........not sure I'm on board with that 100%, but he has utilized people in ways that Capers never would have.

Not sure you can "adapt" a 4-3 MLB like AJ Hawk and put him a old style 34. Pettine looks better but early on he had Dabiels and Clark at DE with a true NT and it clicked fairly well. Anytime when those 3 didn't play and as they were lost the defense took a dump. I think Dom and Mike whispered sweet nothings in MM ears to get their jobs but trying to make lemonade out of turnips fails most everytime.

I'm going to assume the bulk of his problems this year have been the talent on the field. If we assume that they're rounding routes, going to the wrong depth on the route, making the wrong read, starting their cut too late or too soon, or a myriad other problems having to do with inexperience or lack of talent, Rodgers' comments about the "details" not being right would strongly contribute to what I have viewed as his being inaccurate.​
I think Adams' numbers would show that Rodgers has certainly been accurate to that particular receiver. If we limit the perceived poor throws and inaccuracies to receivers that have been in this system 3 or more years, in other words, to Adams, Allison, Cobb, and Kendricks, the number of poor throws is reduced dramatically. I can think of less than 5 bad throws to Adams, maybe 3 to Cobb, and very few to Kendricks or Allison.​
Without seeing film from past years, we can't accurately gauge whether Rodgers has been overlooking checkdown receivers more this year than in the past. What we can do is look at the number of receptions by RBs and TEs, primary checkdown receivers (except Finley who functioned almost like a WR), in past years and compare them to this year. Not surprisingly, this year's closest match, in terms of statistics, was 2015 when Nelson was lost for the season, Adams had a hurt calf, and Cobb had various injuries. Rodgers' completion percentage was his career low, QBR career low, R. Rodgers had 58 catches and Starks 43 catches good for 2nd and 5th on the team. Every other year, RBs and checkdown TEs were far down the list in number of receptions. My conclusion would be that Rodgers doesn't like the checkdown and really doesn't use the checkdown.​
Rodgers has been saying that his accuracy is not appreciably worse this year than in years past. He says the "details" are the main problems that the offense has been having. The fact that the young receivers catch very few balls and seem to disappear from the game lends some truth to his statements. My conclusion would be that Rodgers and this particular offense is much more affected by personnel than Brady, Brees, Rivers, or P. Manning and, to give him the benefit of the doubt, his play may not have slipped. But, without contrary evidence, he may not be the GOAT, just an excellent QB given the proper receiving talent.​

I'm going to assume the bulk of his problems this year have been the talent on the field. If we assume that they're rounding routes, going to the wrong depth on the route, making the wrong read, starting their cut too late or too soon, or a myriad other problems having to do with inexperience or lack of talent, Rodgers' comments about the "details" not being right would strongly contribute to what I have viewed as his being inaccurate.​
I think Adams' numbers would show that Rodgers has certainly been accurate to that particular receiver. If we limit the perceived poor throws and inaccuracies to receivers that have been in this system 3 or more years, in other words, to Adams, Allison, Cobb, and Kendricks, the number of poor throws is reduced dramatically. I can think of less than 5 bad throws to Adams, maybe 3 to Cobb, and very few to Kendricks or Allison.​
Without seeing film from past years, we can't accurately gauge whether Rodgers has been overlooking checkdown receivers more this year than in the past. What we can do is look at the number of receptions by RBs and TEs, primary checkdown receivers (except Finley who functioned almost like a WR), in past years and compare them to this year. Not surprisingly, this year's closest match, in terms of statistics, was 2015 when Nelson was lost for the season, Adams had a hurt calf, and Cobb had various injuries. Rodgers' completion percentage was his career low, QBR career low, R. Rodgers had 58 catches and Starks 43 catches good for 2nd and 5th on the team. Every other year, RBs and checkdown TEs were far down the list in number of receptions. My conclusion would be that Rodgers doesn't like the checkdown and really doesn't use the checkdown.​
Rodgers has been saying that his accuracy is not appreciably worse this year than in years past. He says the "details" are the main problems that the offense has been having. The fact that the young receivers catch very few balls and seem to disappear from the game lends some truth to his statements. My conclusion would be that Rodgers and this particular offense is much more affected by personnel than Brady, Brees, Rivers, or P. Manning and, to give him the benefit of the doubt, his play may not have slipped. But, without contrary evidence, he may not be the GOAT, just an excellent QB given the proper receiving talent.​

Stale passing game. Packers' receivers are almost never open; Rodgers has to constantly force the ball into tight windows. Overdue for a new fresh offensive approach.

Noteworthy: Aaron Rodgers leads the league in "bad plays" (interceptions, incompletions, sacks & fumbles) in 2018 255 Aaron Rodgers 230 Case Keenum 223 Eli Manning 221 Jared Goff

Aaron Rodgers leads the league in bad plays. But only two interceptions. Lol.

Told y'all we should have at LEAST made him play out those final two years on his contract. He is robbing us and most of us don't even know or can't even accept that he's robbing us.

What Rodgers is doing this year is walking into a bank vault, walking out with bags full of money and telling everyone in the bank he's not stealing it and everyone believing him.

What is it? Do people just not want to believe? Do they watch him and convince themselves that it's a bad OL, bad coach, bad players... Davante Adams is arguably better than any receiver Favre had other than Sharpe and people complained that Favre never had the talent around him. Favre had the equivalent of a healthy Bulaga at LT, Rodgers has Bakhtiari. Favre had a year where Samkon Gado was the lead back with Rod Gardner brought in and that one Cobb-like receiver and Koren Robinson as his top three receivers.

I'm just sick of people not accepting that Rodgers is having a really, really, really bad year. It's bad. It's not just bad by Aaron's standards, it is a bad year for him period. Don't know how you can watch the Cardinals game and a handful of other games and point your finger at his lack of help when he's got players streaking open on every single play that he doesn't throw to or he over throws or throws the ball at their feet.

He's not a 28 year old anymore.. He needs to get healthy, and we need to get a coach in here that will stop the big play hold out and adjust to a more Brady like game. He still has some MVPs and Lombardis in him, but he also has to put in the extra work.

I'm not giving up on Rodgers, nor am I going to pile on or throw him under the bus, but I'll just say that I'm disappointed in him this year and maybe some humbling will do him good. I'm seeing a lot of folks jumping off his knob, er, bandwagon around the Country, and perhaps that will serve as a catalyst to come back next season and play more to the level we're accustomed, and frankly, to his contract.

The Packers waited 3 yrs too long to fire TT and 2 yrs too long to fire MM and staff. Is that on Rodgers ?
This is a big reason why we are in the shape we are in. To be fair Rodgers won 2-3 games on Hail Mary God like throws that made MM look a lot smarter then he was. You lose those does he get canned a couple yrs earlier ?

Was it on this board or the older one that I did a year by year breakdown of the drop-off in talent on the defensive side of the ball? I think I started that from 2009.

I'm actually in the middle of doing one for the offense, but that side of the ball has been predicated on Rodgers' ability to be his 2011-14 self. But there's still been a drain on that side.

Back