Interesting fluff, but sounds good!

TW

Reaction score
Yeah! It's a given! If you can't convert on third down, you can't sustain drives. That's like saying that your car has four wheels on it and don't run too well if one is missing. A real Homer Simpson moment to say the least.

Yet, what Pete did say was pretty much the kind of fluff all of us want to hear. Imagination comes alive on 3rd down!

I'm anxious to see what Le Fleur and his offensive minions are offering up for Rodgers and the rest of the offense to regain their status as one of the best 3rd down teams in the NFL. Over the last few years, we saw that facet of the game erode even more each year.

I've always felt that the major cause of this happening dealt with the play selection, and it's not being optional enough in design to put Rodgers and the Packers in control of the situation.

Call this more garbage if you guys want, but in all honesty, what he said is exactly what we all want to hear. Now, let's see if he's right, and that Le Fleur has actually brought this to the table.

3rd Down and whatever!

He lost me after the " Sean McVay " example. While in LA that was Sean's O not ML. The author wrote a better article on play action elsewhere...couple of good points there>>>

Among QBs with at least 50 play-action drops in 2018, Aaron Rodgers finished 20th in passer rating, just ahead of Eli Manning and behind Lamar Jackson. He was also one of the few quarterbacks to see his efficiency drop when using play-action, with his rating and per attempt numbers better in drop back situations.
In fact, on a per-attempt basis, the only quarterbacks to average fewer yards off play-action in 2019 were Josh Rosen, Nick Foles, and Ben Roethlisberger by a fraction. That’s brutal.

One example stands out as emblematic of the struggles this offense had in a facet where most teams thrive. Against the Cardinals, fittingly the game that cost Mike McCarthy his job, everything went the way it should have gone. Rodgers executed his fake, the defense bit, and Equanimeous St. Brown is running wide open down the field. A bad throw leads to an incompletion.

This concept should be a staple of the Packers. They should kill teams with it. It’s well-designed and well-executed right up until Rodgers lets the ball go. For whatever reason, whether it’s lack of faith in a rookie receiver or his injured leg, he couldn’t pull the trigger and make stick throws.
Calling these plays more often won’t lead to better effectiveness if the quarterback can’t make the throws consistently. We believe Rodgers can when healthy, but he made plenty of unbelievable throws last season on that tibial plateau fracture. Why did seemingly easy pitch-and-catch plays escape him so often last season?

We should expect LaFleur to call a much higher percentage of play-action throws relative to what Rodgers is used to. Let’s say Rodgers matches Mariota’s 2018 play-action rate. That would mean roughly 213 throws, 76 more than Rodgers attempted last season, which comes out to an increase of more than 50%.
Play-action is, by NFL standards, far more efficient than drop back passing. If Rodgers is attempting four more throws per game from play-action, NFL averages say he should be more efficient overall. What we know about Rodgers is that “average” isn’t a word that belongs anywhere near him.
Calling more of these plays doesn’t guarantee a more successful facet of the game, but given the quality of the above offenses and the scheme in question, but all Rodgers has to do is meet statistical league norms to improve the play-action game. If he’s as efficient as we’ve seen him at his best, or even close, then 2019 could look more like vintage Rodgers with shot plays.
Play-action also channels Rodgers’ propensity to want to extend and create plays. If he’s on the move to begin with, he’s not necessarily throwing the rhythm of the offense off by using his legs to extend the play. If this also scratches his itch to play some backyard football, perhaps Rodgers will be more patient from within the pocket than we’ve seen in years past.

Good stuff Mark. I think it was a combination of the injury and lack of practice and lack of coaching bringing out the worst from AR’s natural stubbornness.

Even the great Aaron Rodgers isn’t above having his footwork evaluated and drilled, and I don’t think MM was bothering to do that any more. He couldn’t practice as much because of the injury and I think AR just kept relying on his ability to make off platform throws. No one can throw off platform all the time and no one can just wing it all the time. ML et al need to get him to play within the system and on time most of the time while still allowing him to do the other things he likes to do out there.

Finally, while there’s no reason to assume this right now, we must also be open to the possibility that the multiple shoulder and leg issues have drained his throwing ability and accuracy, and that he’ll never be able to play “his game” again. I strongly believe he’s every bit as smart and talented as Brees and Brady and can reinvent himself to play “their game”, but I also question if his pride will allow it.

So I held back, until an afternoon on my favorite deck, isn't a fluff going to put a smile on my face

I believe most of Rodgers problems last year dealt with injuries from the past, and those he had last year. His throwing motion was different (Off), and even his footwork and follow through weren't normal. We'll see where it goes this year.

He needs work, and it's going to be on him to get his receivers out there on time-off, to get that feel back. Without it, he's just an average QB, at best.

I believe most of Rodgers problems last year dealt with injuries from the past, and those he had last year. His throwing motion was different (Off), and even his footwork and follow through weren't normal. We'll see where it goes this year.

He needs work, and it's going to be on him to get his receivers out there on time-off, to get that feel back. Without it, he's just an average QB, at best.
There was a lot wrong with Rodgers last year; in addition to what has been mentioned, let's remember that he and MM had started to grow apart and he had very little confidence in the offense. As good as AR can be, that chip on his shoulder gets in the way a bit too much.

Reactions: TW
Back