Inside the Badger football family

I'll keep coming back to the core problems that UW shares with many other P5 schools. Spend as much as you want but you won't be in the same league as OSU, Bama, Okl, Clemson, Georgia, and a few others. Facilities and resources only take you so far. Pick up OSU's coaching and recruiting staff and spend their same money at Iowa and they still won't be celebrating national championships there. OSU will still be the better program.

UW has geographic challenges it can't overcome. The weather is not great but in the end the biggest problem is location/population. Those other schools can recruit a team full of 4-5 star kids within 2-300 miles of campus. UW cannot. All the money in the world won't make these kids go to UW over those similar (and better) programs closer to home.

Recruit Florida, Texas, and Georgia as hard as you want. Spend millions. In the end what is the trigger for the best kids in those states to come to UW over closer choices that are in the same league or better and have better weather? UW used to recruit some of those areas hard and sure they got a few kids every year, but the best kids in those places still went to the closer to home programs.

I'm not giving up or saying UW can't do better, but I don't have expectations that they can ever be a top 5-ish type team year in and year out. They can be incrementally better.

I keep hearing from people how we do get kids from the South coming up to Madison. But to 57's point, that's after the cream of the crop has already signed with closer schools, and those still left looking for a spot to play aren't recruited by a school they like in the South.

I keep hearing from people how we do get kids from the South coming up to Madison. But to 57's point, that's after the cream of the crop has already signed with closer schools, and those still left looking for a spot to play aren't recruited by a school they like in the South.
Other issue is WI does not develop HS kids like they do in the south. WI relies way to much on in state kids and most of those kids would never even get many ifn any offers down in the SEC.

Other issue is WI does not develop HS kids like they do in the south. WI relies way to much on in state kids and most of those kids would never even get many ifn any offers down in the SEC.
They don't allow the program involvement either. Down here, in Texas, these kids are involved in football related programs year round.

I think this is misconception to some degree. Davis was a 4 Star WR out of Ohio, Pryor is from Illinois as an example. Yeah the OL is heavy state kids but skill positions are mostly out of state kids. The only instate skill kids I can even recall making an impact were Clay, Gordon and Toon at skill positions.

To build on 57’s point the Big 10 in general is a hard sell, to many kids perception is reality. As Mark once pointed out Wisconsin is an acquired taste and that also extends to Madison to some degree

In the South, high school and college football is interwoven into the culture of society. People support the programs in a big way. High schools in some areas, like Texas, build shrines to the game, and they rival some lower level DI schools as far as how well appointed they are.

There's an "allegiance" to schools simply because that's where you're expected to go if the call is there to invite you.

That may never change. The players left, after they are picked over, is what you get going North to play ball.

In the South, high school and college football is interwoven into the culture of society. People support the programs in a big way. High schools in some areas, like Texas, build shrines to the game, and they rival some lower level DI schools as far as how well appointed they are.

There's an "allegiance" to schools simply because that's where you're expected to go if the call is there to invite you.

That may never change. The players left, after they are picked over, is what you get going North to play ball.
Lot of truth here. BB hit Florida hard and had limited results. Maybe Aaron Henry was the best “get”.

Lot of truth here. BB hit Florida hard and had limited results. Maybe Aaron Henry was the best “get”.
I will say BB did recurit down south more then Barry or anyone after him has

Back