Hepburn

TW

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of Hepburn figuring he's the only one who can shoot the rock near the end of games. He's taking horrible shots, and not getting them down. He's even running clock and failing to get that open shot. Pass the damned ball! It's a team game!

This is the same crap we saw two years ago with Trice. Gard has to figure it out. He has others who can make big shots, and are consistent.

I think, like Bo Ryan before him, that this is what Gard wants so from his perspective there is nothing to figure out. It's been a frustrating part of the offense for a couple of decades. Ryan had his point guards do the same damn thing in end of game situations. I've hated it the whole time. It's not a Trice or Hepburn (or Jackson, Taylor, Hughes) problem, it's a Ryan/Gard problem.

Last edited:
I can remember a game a few years back where the ball went to Davison from out of bounds, and he put up a desperation 3 to win a game. When Gard was interviewed, he commented that the pass in was supposed to go to Trice, as if they had "screwed up" by winning it with Davison's bucket. I figured at that point Gard had a problem in this aspect of his game.

I know I'd be looking to get the ball in someone like Essegian's hands if I'm looking for that long one for the win. It sure wouldn't be Hepburn. They're all over him, knowing who's going to put it up.

I think, like Bo Ryan before him, that this is what Gard wants so from his perspective there is nothing to figure out. It's been a frustrating part of the offense for a couple of decades. Ryan had his point guards do the same damn thing in end of game situations. I've hated it the whole time. It's not a Trice or Hepburn (or Jackson, Taylor, Hughes) problem, it's a Ryan/Gard problem.
It’s also an issue with having guys with the ability to create shots. Right now Hepburn is probably the only guy who can take a defender one on one. What adds to the problem is that without Wahl you don’t have a one on one scorer either.

I can remember a game a few years back where the ball went to Davison from out of bounds, and he put up a desperation 3 to win a game. When Gard was interviewed, he commented that the pass in was supposed to go to Trice, as if they had "screwed up" by winning it with Davison's bucket. I figured at that point Gard had a problem in this aspect of his game.

I know I'd be looking to get the ball in someone like Essegian's hands if I'm looking for that long one for the win. It sure wouldn't be Hepburn. They're all over him, knowing who's going to put it up.
Last night Gard came out of 2 time outs late and ran pin downs to Essegian and both got blown up. The second one he can a double set and still could not get open. The issue last night and to some extent at Illinois is that without Wahl you really can’t run any horns action with Gilmore. I mentioned early in the season that losing a big will be their kryptonite.

And to be honest this team is an above average spot up shooting team but it’s limited as to how many guys can create offense on their own like Davis did last year. So if the set / action does not work then you rely on a guy like Hepburn to create offense.

No pick and rolls set for Essegian. Explain why not? That's one that would get him breathing room for a shot. Instead, we get to watch Hepburn dribble out the clock for a desperation shot, because they know he's not going to pass off, and they move on him with 3 seconds left. It's one time after another, so it's on Gard. Not blaming Hepburn on it, because he's doing exactly what he's been told to do.

Now, if it was just Hepburn, I'd say it was him. But, since this is the same crapola as with Trice, I call Gard out on it. This is not good coaching, period.

No pick and rolls set for Essegian. Explain why not? That's one that would get him breathing room for a shot. Instead, we get to watch Hepburn dribble out the clock for a desperation shot, because they know he's not going to pass off, and they move on him with 3 seconds left. It's one time after another, so it's on Gard. Not blaming Hepburn on it, because he's doing exactly what he's been told to do.

Now, if it was just Hepburn, I'd say it was him. But, since this is the same crapola as with Trice, I call Gard out on it. This is not good coaching, period.
A pin down screen is essentially the same as a pick and roll. Your trying to free up your best spot up shooter. You might not use Crowl but it’s the same action to get him free. And with only one big that’s getting minutes with Wahl. I’m not running a pick and roll with anyone but him and that’s even assuming they see the majority of man defense

They run a good amount of pick and pop with Crowl but if you don’t have Wahl on the post it takes much of that away. And no Gilmore is not an effective post player.

Hepburn acknowledged that the 3 last was his bad and watching it again it was, hell Gard was trying to call TO. I’ll say it again, this team is challenged when trying to create offense. Davis bailed them out countless times last year. And they have probably 2 guys that can create off the dribble. Hepburn is shooting 48% from 3. I’ll take my chances with that. His assist to TO ratio is above average. Wahl is on the court last night they win by 5-7 points

One more point..a lot more 5 and 4 out formations vs Illinois and MSU. Relying on flex cuts and spread ball screens to attack. With Wahl out I can live with that. But a small caveat. Ball screen offense has been sloppy more times than not the last 2 games.

But we see this type of play across the board in college and the pros. Coaches put the ball in one player's hand and lets him take over (with some teams it's every time down the court). I'm thinking it has something to do with analytics in that this "formula" has the best points/possession, but that also depends on the guy touching the ball.

But we see this type of play across the board in college and the pros. Coaches put the ball in one player's hand and lets him take over (with some teams it's every time down the court). I'm thinking it has something to do with analytics in that this "formula" has the best points/possession, but that also depends on the guy touching the ball.
That’s accurate but it’s also who else is on the floor. If you have 2 guys who can crate offense like say Giannis and Middleton it gives you some options. In Dallas Luka is the only real option using 2 examples. It’s part analytics and part matchups.

Back