Has Ted Thompson been right all along?

Titletown Soundoff

Reaction score
Has Ted Thompson been right all along?, by mdarnieder

Each off-season, Packers faithful greets free agency with a chorus that ranges anywhere from “well Ted’s philosophy has produced a consistent winner, gotta trust him” to “he’s wasting another year of Aaron Rodgers! Sign someone now, Ted!” This

Continue reading @http://titletownsoundoff.com/ ...

Thompson has held the Packers and Aaron Rodgers back with his gun-shy approach to free agency, and he threatens to waste an all-time great player if he refuses to adapt.

False. As has been pointed out before, Rodgers himself shares much of the blame for playoff failures (as did Favre before him). He's not just some bystander or just along for the ride. He's the engine that makes it go, and he's been very average in recent playoff losses. The types of players we're talking about in free agency aren't real difference makers.

False. As has been pointed out before, Rodgers himself shares much of the blame for playoff failures (as did Favre before him). He's not just some bystander or just along for the ride. He's the engine that makes it go, and he's been very average in recent playoff losses. The types of players we're talking about in free agency aren't real difference makers.
I put a good deal of blame on Mike's fear-based game management, particularly in the post season.

What's held this team back is a couple of years of average to below average drafts. This team still lacks play makers on defense. Depth issues at OL ILB issues. Is tier 1 free agency the answer no. But fill holes with quality depth. Is McCarthy to blame? To some degree yes but when you compare his record to Payton Tomlin or even Holmgren it's better or very comparable. Blame on many fronts

I do not blame Thompson for not signing Lynch in 2011. The Bills did what was best for them - they traded him to a team that could give them a higher draft pick. Let's say - for argument's sake - we tell Buffalo we'll give you a 3rd for him. I don't doubt they would call Seattle and check to see what they might do. I'd wager Seattle would have said yes seeing they were ready to give them 2 picks and the Bills would have traded Lynch to Seattle anyway. sh))

I do not blame Thompson for not signing Lynch in 2011. The Bills did what was best for them - they traded him to a team that could give them a higher draft pick. Let's say - for argument's sake - we tell Buffalo we'll give you a 3rd for him. I don't doubt they would call Seattle and check to see what they might do. I'd wager Seattle would have said yes seeing they were ready to give them 2 picks and the Bills would have traded Lynch to Seattle anyway. sh))
It's called negotiations. It's not just Lynch. Be aggressive. It comes back to being too conservative. Sure Buffalo would have done what's right for their organization but it's also Thompsons responsibility to do the same

Good article...

Every SB champion of the last 10 years including GB signing Green, and those who have won multiple SB's (PIT, NYG, NE) used FA in their Sb run for depth and to bolster positions.

It's called negotiations. It's not just Lynch. Be aggressive. It comes back to being too conservative. Sure Buffalo would have done what's right for their organization but it's also Thompsons responsibility to do the same

So if we offered Buffalo a 3rd and Seattle does too should Ted have then raised it to a 2nd? How high should he go to get him? You might do this for a QB but not for a RB in today's NFL. You can find good RBs for a lot less in the draft.

So if we offered Buffalo a 3rd and Seattle does too should Ted have then raised it to a 2nd? How high should he go to get him? You might do this for a QB but not for a RB in today's NFL. You can find good RBs for a lot less in the draft.

You offer another conditional pick. An extra pick. A player. Be creative. Same with contract structures. Too conservative. Thompson get too much of a pass. Yes rb are important in today's nfl. Look at this offense with lacy doing happy hour at steak and shake. Thompson has been left at the Alter 3 times trying to m ke a trade. He's inflexible in trades and free agency. Values picks more than upgrades. He has signed zero FA where he would have to surrender a draft pick it's his job to fill holes.

You offer another conditional pick. An extra pick. A player. Be creative. Same with contract structures. Too conservative. Thompson get too much of a pass. Yes rb are important in today's nfl. Look at this offense with lacy doing happy hour at steak and shake. Thompson has been left at the Alter 3 times trying to m ke a trade. He's inflexible in trades and free agency. Values picks more than upgrades. He has signed zero FA where he would have to surrender a draft pick it's his job to fill holes.

Evidently Ted prefers to fill our holes with draft picks rather than FAs from other teams. It can be frustrating for us fans as we watch other fans discuss all their shiny new toys on their rosters while Ted just resigns his own guys and concentrates on the draft. This year has been super active on the trade front. The only one I can think of from last year was the Saints shipping Graham off to Seattle. IMO NE is active in trades this year because they don't have a first round draft pick.

Back