Good Read on NO

Cheesedog

Reaction score
Good read on NO

Nice article. And I can't help but notice the completely different philosophy here. MM and his "I'm the genius and I do the game plan the way I want" vs the way they're doing it in NO.

Also noticably absent when he talks about innovation and looking at what other teams are doing on offense is the Green Bay Packers.

There was a similar piece last year on the Eagles and how Pederson game planned for each opponent and not merely just lined guys up and said "They know what we are doing but we're gonna win our individual matchup"...the Pittsburgh macho stuff.

There was a similar piece last year on the Eagles and how Pederson game planned for each opponent and not merely just lined guys up and said "They know what we are doing but we're gonna win our individual matchup"...the Pittsburgh macho stuff.

That and NO looks at other teams tape for ideas. But GB wasn't on the list of innovators ....

Payton seems to be using Hill like MM envisioned using Monty.

Last edited:
pederson also did a great job of retooling the offense to take advantage of foles' strengths when wentz went down. but i wonder what the heck is going on this year because all that great planning doesn't seem to be working.

The Eagles lost a lot of players off last year's team. I know people say, "But not stars!," though true, it isn't he stars that makes a team good, it's players around them that allow them to look good. It's a harmony of action on the field, where everyone is in sync.

Some people might say that Wentz is the problem but I don't think that's true. Foles did a tremendous job, but before he hit the field, Wentz was helping the Eagles win games. Yet, the fact that the guy who actually brought them through the playoffs is now on the bench, and in some ways, that has to work against them to a degree - psychologically.

If you look at teams across the board, being able to repeat such a high level of play for two consecutive years isn't easy. The Eagles are no exception. They made all the pieces fit together last year, but some of that magic just isn't there this year. But count on one thing, Doug Pederson will be working on getting them back on track for 2019. He might get some help, if the Eagles us Foles to gain additional help in the draft, through a trade.

pederson also did a great job of retooling the offense to take advantage of foles' strengths when wentz went down. but i wonder what the heck is going on this year because all that great planning doesn't seem to be working.

Look at the guys on IR. Lost 2 key running backs, Darby on defense was a big loss so was Wallace and McLeod. Add to that Wentz is not 100%, they lost Jeffery for a long period.

The Eagles lost a lot of players off last year's team. I know people say, "But not stars!," though true, it isn't he stars that makes a team good, it's players around them that allow them to look good. It's a harmony of action on the field, where everyone is in sync.

Some people might say that Wentz is the problem but I don't think that's true. Foles did a tremendous job, but before he hit the field, Wentz was helping the Eagles win games. Yet, the fact that the guy who actually brought them through the playoffs is now on the bench, and in some ways, that has to work against them to a degree - psychologically.

If you look at teams across the board, being able to repeat such a high level of play for two consecutive years isn't easy. The Eagles are no exception. They made all the pieces fit together last year, but some of that magic just isn't there this year. But count on one thing, Doug Pederson will be working on getting them back on track for 2019. He might get some help, if the Eagles us Foles to gain additional help in the draft, through a trade.

Eagles issues are as much injury related as anything, even Wentz I don't think is 100%

Yeah, I was thinking the same too. The Saints are the hot team right now as well so they'll be the media sensation of the moment.

It's too easy to blame what's happening on injuries. Even if it's true, it's the depth issue. There aren't enough good players to step in, and maintain a solid level of play. The roster losses the Eagles suffered since last year created this lack of depth, ergo, the injuries expose more weaknesses.

It's too easy to blame what's happening on injuries. Even if it's true, it's the depth issue. There aren't enough good players to step in, and maintain a solid level of play. The roster losses the Eagles suffered since last year created this lack of depth, ergo, the injuries expose more weaknesses.

Agree and 31 other teams have the same issues. Any team that loses their top 2 RB for the season and best WR for a significant period of time and their QB is not at 100% is going to struggle on offense and losing Darby and McLeod really hurt the defense.

Back