For the Brewers, there will be no quick fix

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Both on and off the field, the Brewers are facing a transition that will determine the future of the franchise. Every decision will be crucial to returning a disappointing team to contender status as soon as possible.

Continue reading...

There is no quick fix for this team. There is pretty much nothing at the AAA level that will help. Most of the prospects are at the AA level. Maybe you could bring one or two up, but the best bet would be to move that group up to the AAA level together next year. The earliest they help is 2017 and even then they would be young guys still growing into MLB'ers. Likely 2018 or 2019 before they are making a real impact at the major league level.

Best bet would be to trade for a legit AAA prospect or two AND trade for as many A and AA level guys as you can, to restock the system a bit. Trade Lohse for whatever you can get. Same with Ramirez. Move Gomez for sure and think long and hard about moving Segura and Lucroy. Those are your 3 biggest assets and Gomez will be priced out of the Brewers market soon and Segura is dispensable because they have shortstops in the farm system. You hate to part with Lucroy because he's essentially the face of the franchise, but due diligence says you need to listen to offers.

Krod would like to stay, but I'd move both him and Broxton in a heartbeat. In fact there isn't a single guy on this team other than the young starting pitchers that I wouldn't deal and even then, I'd listen to offers on Fiers.

Braun's contract will limit anything they can do in the foreseeable future.

Agree that Braun limits what they can do, but doesn't paralyze them if they go "whole hog" young. Attanasio has been willing to run the payroll up to the $80+ mil range if needed. If you go totally young you will have a bunch of guys you can control at manageable numbers and can still maybe pay a market deal to one or two of your young pitchers when they come due. You can deal with Braun's $20+mil contract, but you just can't have 4 guys like Lohse, Garza, KRod and Ramirez eating up the next $40mil.

But I'm not convinced you can go young as you say and win It's not just Brauns contract but his production. I can live with his deal if his numbers justified it. No organization is deep enough to rebuild totally via youth.

Braun's batting average could be better but he's in the top 10 in the NL in homers, RBIs and has committed only 2 errors in RF. His production isn't terrible imo.

Braun's batting average could be better but he's in the top 10 in the NL in homers, RBIs and has committed only 2 errors in RF. His production isn't terrible imo.

Production does not equal salary.

[BCOLOR=#fbfbff]Production definitely does not equal salary, but at least he is not a black hole. Garza for example. You are going to keep paying him $10+ million a year for 2 more years and you might just be better off from a performance perspective going with a youngster. Braun is at least better than throwing just anyone out there. Right now, "anyone" might be better than Garza.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=#fbfbff]Agree that it will be tough to be a serious contender if they go really young and have the Braun contract, but I think they can build a winning team around the young guys + Braun contract in a couple of years. Plus, if Attansio continues to be willing to stretch the payroll north of the $80+ million mark then you do have some flexibility to keep a few veterans in the mix with the youngsters. [/BCOLOR]

Back