Expansion request, Oakland

TW

Reaction score
I found this an interesting proposal for an expansion team in Oakland. There would be support for a team there, as long as they had a stadium that was suited for football. The fact that it's a group of black businessmen from the community shows that they want to establish something to benefit themselves, and the community itself.

Are their motives pure? In this day and age, nobody is immune from wanting to insure things are tilted at least a little in their own favor.

If this did come to more than just an initial statement, and the league considered it, would they add a second team to the list to balance it out? If so, where would that franchise be best established?

Something more to consider during this off season.

Oakland wants the NFL back

Oakland is done in the NFL. Owners are not going to expand anytime soon adn Oakland will be last place they consider. NFL tried to get. Oakland refused to work with NFL in finding way to help build new stadium then sued Raiders and NFL. So NFL is done for good there.

The league would go back to St. Louis or San Diego before they would go back to Oakland IMO.

I found this an interesting proposal for an expansion team in Oakland. There would be support for a team there, as long as they had a stadium that was suited for football. The fact that it's a group of black businessmen from the community shows that they want to establish something to benefit themselves, and the community itself.

Are their motives pure? In this day and age, nobody is immune from wanting to insure things are tilted at least a little in their own favor.

If this did come to more than just an initial statement, and the league considered it, would they add a second team to the list to balance it out? If so, where would that franchise be best established?

Something more to consider during this off season.

Oakland wants the NFL back
Not happening, I have family in Oakland and they are only half serious about going out and getting a franchise. I doubt we ever see pro football back in Oakland.

Not happening, I have family in Oakland and they are only half serious about going out and getting a franchise. I doubt we ever see pro football back in Oakland.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the city is that invested in getting a team in the NFL. At times I wonder if they actually are trying to keep the A's in-house.

I've been to baseball games in Oakland, as far back as 1972, and I never saw a real stoked up fan base being there. In fact, about the only thing I saw was Reggie brushing people off so he didn't have to sign autographs. That is, until one day, when my cousin who was an ex-marine, and built like a football TE called him out on it when a friend's nephew was there for a game with us. The kid lived in a small town in Montana, and was so excited to be there, see Reggie, and having asked him for his autograph. Reggie just pushed past him, before my cousin stepped up.

After a few words with Reggie, he came back, and gave the kid his autograph, and his Dad even got a picture of the boy with Reggie, smiling, ear to ear, and as gracious as could be.

My Cousin and I? White Sox fans. After getting that autograph for the kid, we brought him over to where the Sox bus was loading. I knew two Sox players, and I caught one as he was getting on the bus, and we talked for a while, then the second showed up. I asked them what the chances were of them signing autographs for the kid, and told them what happened.

They did it one better. They invited him onto the bus, grabbed a bat for him, got all their autographs spread over 3 balls, and he got pictures with every damned player on the roster, plus the Manager. He also left with Wilbur Wood's baseball cap, which I was told 5 years later, holds an honor spot in his White Sox collection of memorabilia. He left Oakland a Chicago White Sox fan, but also a Reggie fan.

Sorry about the side tour. Just reminiscing.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the city is that invested in getting a team in the NFL. At times I wonder if they actually are trying to keep the A's in-house.

I've been to baseball games in Oakland, as far back as 1972, and I never saw a real stoked up fan base being there. In fact, about the only thing I saw was Reggie brushing people off so he didn't have to sign autographs. That is, until one day, when my cousin who was an ex-marine, and built like a football TE called him out on it when a friend's nephew was there for a game with us. The kid lived in a small town in Montana, and was so excited to be there, see Reggie, and having asked him for his autograph. Reggie just pushed past him, before my cousin stepped up.

After a few words with Reggie, he came back, and gave the kid his autograph, and his Dad even got a picture of the boy with Reggie, smiling, ear to ear, and as gracious as could be.

My Cousin and I? White Sox fans. After getting that autograph for the kid, we brought him over to where the Sox bus was loading. I knew two Sox players, and I caught one as he was getting on the bus, and we talked for a while, then the second showed up. I asked them what the chances were of them signing autographs for the kid, and told them what happened.

They did it one better. They invited him onto the bus, grabbed a bat for him, got all their autographs spread over 3 balls, and he got pictures with every damned player on the roster, plus the Manager. He also left with Wilbur Wood's baseball cap, which I was told 5 years later, holds an honor spot in his White Sox collection of memorabilia. He left Oakland a Chicago White Sox fan, but also a Reggie fan.

Sorry about the side tour. Just reminiscing.
I believe Oakland and the A's did come to a agreement for a new stadium to be built in an industrial park near river/coast in a old shipping container site. I remember reading there were few issues to deal with with some other businesses that would be impacted but Oakland got that done because the A's were saying get us a new stadium or we leave next.

I think you're right. It's time for it.

Just looked at the proposed new stadium. Possible delay, and even scrapping idea. Could end up building new next door to existing stadium, then after raising the existing site, convert it into a multi usage arena area.

For some reason, there appears to be some hesitation on the side of the A's on the plan for the shoreline. They're looking at a 35,000 seat stadium. Times have changed. I remember when bigger was better.

Just looked at the proposed new stadium. Possible delay, and even scrapping idea. Could end up building new next door to existing stadium, then after raising the existing site, convert it into a multi usage arena area.

For some reason, there appears to be some hesitation on the side of the A's on the plan for the shoreline. They're looking at a 35,000 seat stadium. Times have changed. I remember when bigger was better.
Baseball really does not need capacity over 45,000 and that’s max. Started out with Camden Yards trying to create a supply and demand model which actually worked until the new park glow went away and yeah winning would help. Also helped with construction costs.

New model is like Atlanta, smaller park and 365 day a year entertainment district to drive revenue

Baseball really does not need capacity over 45,000 and that’s max. Started out with Camden Yards trying to create a supply and demand model which actually worked until the new park glow went away and yeah winning would help. Also helped with construction costs.

New model is like Atlanta, smaller park and 365 day a year entertainment district to drive revenue
Yeah 20 out of the 30 MLB ballparks are under 45K

Back