Examining the challenges Wisconsin faces in search for Barry Alvarez’s replacement as athletic director

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Badgers athletic department has had two leaders in three-plus decades. With Barry Alvarez set to retire soon, who’s next and what should their priorities be?

Continue reading...

This is a very good piece and touches on some important points. In many ways this hire might be more important that the Shalala, Richter move. If people think the Packers in the 70's and 80's were bad, UW athletics was worse. The department was basically bankrupt, facilities were HS level and alumni support and enrollment was abysmal. Since then..
  • Improvements and upgrades to Camp Randall including suites and premium seating
  • The Kohl Center, we still might be in the Field House which makes Williams Arena in Minneapolis look like Fiserv Forum
  • Increased enrollment and booster donations (Badger Fund...yes I do donate)
So now what? 3 names come to mind, I am sure there are more but Jamie Pollard, Sean Frazier & McIntosh. And from what I can gather its not a rubber stamp hire for McIntosh, there are questions if he has the ability to raise money keep the engine moving. Barry wants McIntosh and has some support for the hire but its not universal. Alvarez was / is a dynamic personality and has clout, McIntosh not so much. Past the money raising issue is Alvarez has done a great job with key hires like Ryan, Gard, Chryst, Sheffield and Johnson. Yes he's had his misses like Anderson. I remember some boosters were far from thrilled with the Bo Ryan hire and that turned out ok. Is McIntosh ready to fire / replace / Hire the next 2 HC which probably happen in the next 10 years, not a lock but entirely possible. Again seems to be some concerns. As a note, McIntosh did a Rotary Club function a few weeks back and from people who attended it was not an inspiring speech. Barry could own a room, maybe folks are just spoiled or unrealistic expectations.

Blank's decision is critical since it will shape not just UW athletics but in many ways UW as whole for the next decade. Personally I want someone who has run a P5 athletic department or at the least FBS, can hire the right guys and keep alumni happy. Pollard is my choice......this will be fascinating to watch play out

• Cheers
Reactions: TW
Whomever they choose, I hope they get it right. The next decade depends on it.

Iowa State extends AD Jamie Pollard's contract through 2026....with no bump in salary

Last edited:
Back