Early Draft Thoughts and Mock

Terranimal

Reaction score
Without workout numbers to gauge against on field play and other dynamics for positions, this mock is based from on field observations, evaluations from others (especially late rounders), and the few draft sites that are up. So after workouts it just might be that some players that looked fast on field aren't.

One of the criteria look for is competition levels for apples to apples whenever possible and not a big fish in a little pond padding up stats.

Am also cautious when highly rated Defensive players are on a very talented Defense like Clemson and Alabama. Have to watch closely for if it is that player or if it's someone else really doing the work but isn't getting the press.

Been super lucky this year being able to watch a ton of college games and also NFL and seeing players had wanted for the Pack having successful careers. Boy wish we had a few of them on our team.

On to the Mock. Some early observations is seems a good year for front 7 Defensive players and weak for QB, RB, TE. We all know team needs but this Mock is likely to upset some as it's not glorious. The old saying is games are won in the trenches and both Lines can use help. Also don't matter how good the Secondary if pass rush sucks. Likewise a good pass rush can ease an average Secondary woes.

Don't get me wrong still would love to have a true #1 Go To WR or explosive TE, but imo our Defense needs more help then our Offense does and this draft appears to play into that.

Rd 1: Hard to gauge where we will end up drafting and our record. Either way think we draft outside of the top ten. As of right now and subject to change have 3 players if we pick between 10-16 and really all 3 could be off the board by here after combine etc. Since we hardly ever draft this high it's important whoever is GM hits on this pick.

It's my opinion these 3 could play in either a 4-3, or 3-4 and be impact on the pass rush and run stop.

DT Derrick Brown 6-5 315 Auburn

DE Zach Allen 6-5 290 Boston College

And my pick ER/OLB Josh Allen 6-5 255 Kentucky
Done with trying to draft DEs and hope they transition to OLB. Like the other two also but by drafting outside top ten believe they are off the board though early sites are all over rd 1 right now on Zach.

Rd 1 Pick 2: debating within myself which one to go with here as to who goes here and who goes Rd 2. Maybe swap these two picks?

DL John Tiller 6-5 305 ND

Rd 2: LB TJ Edwards 6-1 245 UW Was proven right on both JJ and TJ Watt and add Edwards as the next one to be an impact player. Thought about Safety, OT, here but have Edwards higher at time. Also gave serious consideration to double dip at OLB and Chase Winovich here.

Rd 3: Safety JR Reed 6-1 200 Georgia

Rd 4: OT Prince Registered Wabogho Auburn

Rd 4 Pick 2: OG Dru Samoa 6-4 305

Rd 5: WR Juan Jennings 6-3 210 Tenn

Rd 6: Elijah Hollyfield 5-11 215 Georgia

Rd 7: TE Foster Moreau 6-6 255 LSU

Without workout numbers to gauge against on field play and other dynamics for positions, this mock is based from on field observations, evaluations from others (especially late rounders), and the few draft sites that are up. So after workouts it just might be that some players that looked fast on field aren't.

One of the criteria look for is competition levels for apples to apples whenever possible and not a big fish in a little pond padding up stats.

Am also cautious when highly rated Defensive players are on a very talented Defense like Clemson and Alabama. Have to watch closely for if it is that player or if it's someone else really doing the work but isn't getting the press.

Been super lucky this year being able to watch a ton of college games and also NFL and seeing players had wanted for the Pack having successful careers. Boy wish we had a few of them on our team.

On to the Mock. Some early observations is seems a good year for front 7 Defensive players and weak for QB, RB, TE. We all know team needs but this Mock is likely to upset some as it's not glorious. The old saying is games are won in the trenches and both Lines can use help. Also don't matter how good the Secondary if pass rush sucks. Likewise a good pass rush can ease an average Secondary woes.

Don't get me wrong still would love to have a true #1 Go To WR or explosive TE, but imo our Defense needs more help then our Offense does and this draft appears to play into that.

Rd 1: Hard to gauge where we will end up drafting and our record. Either way think we draft outside of the top ten. As of right now and subject to change have 3 players if we pick between 10-16 and really all 3 could be off the board by here after combine etc. Since we hardly ever draft this high it's important whoever is GM hits on this pick.

It's my opinion these 3 could play in either a 4-3, or 3-4 and be impact on the pass rush and run stop.

DT Derrick Brown 6-5 315 Auburn

DE Zach Allen 6-5 290 Boston College

And my pick ER/OLB Josh Allen 6-5 255 Kentucky
Done with trying to draft DEs and hope they transition to OLB. Like the other two also but by drafting outside top ten believe they are off the board though early sites are all over rd 1 right now on Zach.

Rd 1 Pick 2: debating within myself which one to go with here as to who goes here and who goes Rd 2. Maybe swap these two picks?

DL John Tiller 6-5 305 ND

Rd 2: LB TJ Edwards 6-1 245 UW Was proven right on both JJ and TJ Watt and add Edwards as the next one to be an impact player. Thought about Safety, OT, here but have Edwards higher at time. Also gave serious consideration to double dip at OLB and Chase Winovich here.

Rd 3: Safety JR Reed 6-1 200 Georgia

Rd 4: OT Prince Registered Wabogho Auburn

Rd 4 Pick 2: OG Dru Samoa 6-4 305

Rd 5: WR Juan Jennings 6-3 210 Tenn

Rd 6: Elijah Hollyfield 5-11 215 Georgia

Rd 7: TE Foster Moreau 6-6 255 LSU
Holyfield is only a junior. Winovich over Edwards. Easy call.

nice mock. Allen is one of my 3 fav players in this draft. I think he goes top 10 but if hes there I hope hes a packer.

Tiller would be a nice addition to pair with clark.

Not interested in Edwards in round 2 but that's just me.

good group overall

quit saying we don't have a true #1 wr. :p adams is top ten in rec and yards and top 3 in tds. He is a 1 in this league. I also think we will is a nice jump in the rooks over the next 2 yrs. MVS and ST Brown have nice skills and combine numbers to back athletic ability

From my view right now. GB needs EVERYTHING... Even a QB since no gaurantee the recently oft injured Arod lasts until he's 40. So get someone in there sit him for 3 years and see where Arod is in 3 years when it's easier to cut him if he goes off a cliff.

So, my view really is this year needs to be strict BPA.... TT spent last 3 drafts trying to pick for need and it was a disaster. There are so many holes in this roster that going strict BPA really is the best way to help IMO.

GB needs QB, WR, TE, RB, OL, DL, S, CB, LB, even K... Did I miss anything? Well, besides an HC and asst's...

I don't watch a ton of college ball, so I will leave it up to those of you who know more than me about the who, but GB needs everything so go strict BPA (if we did we'd have Watt and James after all) this year and next year GB can have more flexibility.

Last edited:
While i wouldnt mind seeing watt in gb he really isnt this elite olb bybany means.... At least not at this point. Hes pretty average. Thats better then a wounded king though.

Yep. Just draft good football players. Its a nive draft of dl and olbs so we should be able to find some guys that will hwlp this team.

Pretty much agree with Cheese above. What position could you draft and go wrong with? What position are we so set at that a draft pick isn't needed? I might push back a little on a QB, RB, or OG with our first pick in Rd 1, but other than that we need some help pretty much everywhere so just go BPA and don't try to fill specific holes at specific spots.

Now, I know when I start doing mocks I'll use need to justify certain picks, but in large part that's because I really don't have my own board to follow (at least not after the first 2 rounds or so). Starting later in Rd 3, I just start to use rankings I see elsewhere, and need, and other factors to try and figure out what might fit in each round.

Until we know who the new head coach and coordinators are, we won't have a clue as to who will be targeted by the Packers in the draft. At this point, we could end up losing over half of our roster since some players don't fit in some systems. We don't even know if we'll be playing a 3-4, 4-3, or what on defense, and offense is another matter as well.

I'm going to hold up on what choices I make until I see what plays out over the next few weeks. We may even see some guys stock rise, when we never thought they'd be part of the future, and others, whom we thought were important to the Packers, jettisoned, because they don't fit in.

Until we know who the new head coach and coordinators are, we won't have a clue as to who will be targeted by the Packers in the draft. At this point, we could end up losing over half of our roster since some players don't fit in some systems. We don't even know if we'll be playing a 3-4, 4-3, or what on defense, and offense is another matter as well.

I'm going to hold up on what choices I make until I see what plays out over the next few weeks. We may even see some guys stock rise, when we never thought they'd be part of the future, and others, whom we thought were important to the Packers, jettisoned, because they don't fit in.
Agree TW.

What offensive system will new HC employ, what type of blocking scheme, will Pettine be retained, 3-4 or 4-3 would affect LB’s the most.
There’s a lot of moving parts in play that we have no idea where they will land.

Agree TW.

What offensive system will new HC employ, what type of blocking scheme, will Pettine be retained, 3-4 or 4-3 would affect LB’s the most.
There’s a lot of moving parts in play that we have no idea where they will land.

I always look back at the Aaron Kampman situation, as well as Cullen Jenkins. Guys who were darned good players in the 4-3, and really out of place in the 3-4. It's not a lack of talent that always dictates what happens, a lot of it is God given things like speed, size, and often very important "burst speed," which Mark knows is key to a lot of what defenses do in the front seven. Speed, of course, is a prerequisite, but it's rare when you can find a guy 6-6, weighing 285# who can run with a WR. If he you have one even close, chances are you groom him as a TE, because the guy is going to be a monster on offense, if you can teach him to hang onto the ball, and run patterns.

Square Pegs, Round Holes

Back