Draft and Packer Thoughts......

One of the things about rookie players on defense (or in general) is that it takes them a while to build up to that leadership role. Years.

I wouldn't put as much stock in it because I heard Chmura say it on Monday, but yesterday Brian Urlacher was on with Rich Eisen and he talked about that topic for a good 5 minutes.

Another thing that I've been thinking about: TT is really dipping into UDFA too much.

Of the 53 guys on our opening day roster, 13 were rookies and 6 of them were UDFA. The Sam Shields "diamond in the rough" is an aberration, not the norm.

Your VP/GM is strict draft and develop yet 10 years into his tenure he consistently has one of the youngest teams and you're fielding a roster of 13 rookies and 6 of them UDFA. This is why TT needs to go, his philosophy is in direct conflict with his actions.

Ted's plan since he came here FA empties the team's coffers to much and that he will only spend to keep his guys. I suspect this is some Ted and some of Murphy/BOD telling him that they don't want him spending $50 million at once on a guy unless he's a home grown guy that is beloved by fans and makes sense to keep for on the field and off the field markting issues.

I seriously doubt that is a Murphy/ BOD directive.

What we have is two different philosophies. Wolf relied too heavy on free agency and Thompson doesn't use it. In other words Wolf was too liberal and Thompson too conservative. What is needed is someone in between like the way Bellichick uses it.

There's also something to be said for vets and leadership that are older and contribute while having a lot of youth. We lack this. Heck haven't we beaten this stuff to death already?

agreed 100% on the S%C and training staff. If you check out their bios most are from the same no name school. Ive heard they got shoed in for the job bc of knowing someone (I don't know the exact story but heard it a few times) So problem I have with this if they are all for the same school and training ideas there is no different view points. with no outside input nothing changes. Injuries happen but damn not at this rate and not reoccurring crap every year. These guys still use a lot of old school stretching. Just really upsetting. I personally know people with better knowledge of training athletes. This area has been an epic fail for a long time. Be it loyal to a fault but something has to change here

good post. I agree with a lot and some Im on the fence. I think you try to get that impact early in the 1st but at the bottom it doesn't always work like that. Example would be last draft is Nkemdiche. Guy was that high impact many thought and many packer fans wanted. He was going to light the world on fire and the guy might not make the cards roster next season. point being later in the round I want a guy that could be a 10 starter (you still need those guys) instead of a guy with red flags even though they might be talented. when motors get questioned I worry.

I hope and wish we can land blue and reds every draft but it doesn't always work like that. TT has done a good job finding guys in the mid and later rounds, now with it looking like we will have some earlier picks we need a HR or 2

Back- agree with what you said when picking in the lower third of every round. The premise here is that the team won't turn things around and continue going downhill, thus putting us in upper third of every round if not with in the top 10. Therefore we if drafting that high we can't blow it and have a shot at impact players to improve this team and positional groups.

As for O-Line again refer back to the research at Ourlads. One step farther is look at current O-Line. Even if for sake of argument we include departed Sitton, the entire O-Line except for Bulaga were mid to later round picks. Only Bulaga is a 1st rd pick that paid off. None of the other early picks for O-Line are here.

Think along same lines that one is needed for improving depth, but can't see adding and maybe wasting another early pick on the position. The starting group is pretty good. About the only time to spend an early rd pick is if in need of a LT.

Back